Music Banter - View Single Post - 25+ Favorite Albums Of 2017 (by Anteater)
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

6. Moonchild - Voyager

Genre: Space Age R&B, Neo-Soul

Sounds Like: Erykah Badu, Monday Michiru, Esperanza Spalding, D'Angelo, Maxwell, Janelle Monae

Adherents to the jazzier, up past midnight side of the neo-soul sound, Moonchild are masters of mood here and carry their twilight torches with a certain breed of quiet confidence. I've been aware of them a few years, but it is with 2nd full length Voyager where I feel like they've coalesced into something like a top drawer artist. The production is amazing subtle at times, complete with woodwinds and breezy Rhodes. At times, it seems like they are purposely evoking the dreamiest moments on those classic early acid-jazz Jamiroquai records or D'Angelo's debut, yet still sounding unlike them in some definitive respects. That's a hard line to walk and doesn't leave a massive amount of room for variation...but sometimes focus on one specific aesthetic is what makes the music work.

The best songs here are clear as day, and that's saying something in an album at this level of consistency: '6am' sounds like a lost vocal number from the Samurai Champloo anime OST. It has a cloying, almost nostalgic melody running through it that defies description and reason. It's an early high point, matched later only perhaps by the most upbeat cut here 'The List', which rides on a bouncy piano / horn section combination to near perfection.

Whilst perhaps just a bit "too" samey aesthetically from start to finish for some people, Moonchild made that into a strength on these songs and created a fabulous lounge album in the process. And hey, you can always cherrypick and slide the best songs here into your next jazzy hip-hop, R&B, etc. mix at your GF's place and watch those clothes fly off.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote