Music Banter - View Single Post - Frownland's Top 20 Albums of 2017 (featuring 17 honourable mentions)
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Honourable Mention Number Two

Alpha Mist - Antiphon

I want to start off by saying that I hate the term nu jazz. Here's a quote for those that don't know what nu jazz is "Nu Jazz is to (traditional) Jazz what punk or grunge was to Rock, of course. [...] The songs are the focus, not the individual prowess of the musicians. Nu Jazz instrumentation ranges from the traditional to the experimental, the melodies are fresh, and the rhythms new and alive. It makes Jazz fun again." Stupid as hell right? Jazz can only thrive when it has new blood and ideas, and these idiots think that just because jazz came to fruition before the advent of readily available electronic instruments that adding electronics demands a new subgenre.

Anyway, really ****ing nice jazz record here. Very soulful, melancholy, and chill with especially virtuosic keys, hip hop rhythms, and the occasional vocalist. It's not typically an album I'd return to but it's a great go to that hasn't worn on me since I've found it and it's a good album to throw on in mixed company. I don't really have much to say about it tbh but it's super solid.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote