Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Release Me" by The Like
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #78 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.
You done been watching too much American Psycho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
What? He doesn't like Abacab because it's too much Pop - an album by supposedly by his favorite band mind you - but then he goes off and listens to Pop anyways and likes it? Tell him to make up his mind, then he can go after me for making the statement that Release Me is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.
"Abacab is too poppy 'whaaa I need a whambulance', now let me go off and listen to some K Pop bands."
I'm just gonna accept that you're not this stupid. I hope. My "Albums of 2017" thread, which is the only place I listen to K-pop, decides what I listen to. Whether it's Italian rap, Vietnamese Jazz, Post punk, death metal or showtunes, I listen to what's on the list. So your point above makes about as much sense as your original quote about your favourite bands. As I said before, please, for the love of god, learn to logic. Also, I was referring to your ludicrous claim that, whether it's your favourite or even, as you see it, the best Genesis album, to talk of Abacab as one of THE best albums ever recorded is almost bordering on psychotic.

In deference to this thread and those who hate Genesis, I think it's only fair that we move this discussion. So follow me, those of you who wish to continue/expand the conversation/debate/argument. This way!
http://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psyc...on-thread.html