Music Banter - View Single Post - The Soul & Funk Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 AM   #211 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
My territory, Ori.

Give Sly & The Family Stone a shot. Anything from Stand and after should be what you're after.

Also, Band Of Gypsys, Hendrix's funkiest album - it has that heavy psych rock guitar he's known for, but a groovier rhythm section.

Should give you something to work w/. Also, Parliament if you haven't checked them out, they're basically the same band as Funkadelic. Like Frowny says, there's some good afrobeat out there that could be compatible w/ what you're looking for. I highly recommend checking out some Fela Kuti.

Also, about Rare Earth, I can't give a good recommendation - I haven't heard many of their songs, but their three hits that I've heard all seem to have that sound.

This don't sound bad though, eh?

Damn, great recs, man! I liked 'em all, definitely gonna check out more from those bands.

Edit: Omg, just found out that I Just Want to Celebrate was by Rare Earth. I fucking love that song, but all these years, I thought it was by Grand Funk Railroad, 'cause that's how it was credited when my sister first showed it to me after downloading it off of Limewire years ago.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------

Last edited by Oriphiel; 01-28-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote