Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Queen of the Wave" by Pepe Deluxé
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

I'd heard of Pepe Deluxe but can't recall ever hearing anything by them before this album. Listened to it the first time, without checking into it beforehand, and thought it was a typical album of various songs. Looked it up afterwards and discovered it was a "pop opera" about the lost civilization of Atlantis. Listened to it a second time and noticed that the songs did sort of fit together in a theme. For me, the best pop or rock "operas" are ones that stand out as such on the first listen so this one wasn't particularly successful on that level. Having said that, I did enjoy most of the songs on the album (especially the ones with a 60's retro vibe) and found them varied and interesting to one degree or another. A few of them didn't do anything for me but the majority of them were a fun listen.

Not sure if I'll return to this album in the future but it did make me curious enough to check into some of their other work.

7.5/10

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote