Music Banter - View Single Post - Classical influences in modern genres...
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
yurshta
Account Disabled

Default Classical music has had powerful impact on some pop stars.

I'll name just two of many popular music stars in particular: Elton John and Barry Manilow. Yes, I know these guys are a bit dated for the "now" generation but here's some info that you may or may not already know about these two. Elton John was classically trained and possesses a potent piano technique. Has a sound mastery of classical elements and utilizes them quite a bit in his music.

Barry Manilow's song "Could it be Magic?" actually takes Chopin's Prelude in C minor and uses it as.....drumroll....a prelude! In fact, the entire song is based more or less on Chopin's melody.

Chopin himself called a series of disconnected musical shorts "Preludes" but they are not true Preludes as Bach's are, but instead little musical gems. Of the preludes of Chopin the F# minor is my favorite.

Of course, the older song "A Fifth of Beethoven" needs no mention, although I'm not sure what the composer would have thought of this hip/hop disco rendition, but then imitation is a form of flattery, is it not?

A few other mentions before I leave for the day.

Neil Diamond was a Jewish Cantor before he made it into popular music. He has an extensive background in the classic traditions and the metal group KISS released an DVD video of some of their music backed up by a full symphony orchestra in one of music's strangest combos. The rock-DVD is called "KISS Symphony"

I don't even need bother with the huge influence classical music has had on television, film scores, children's cartoons (especially Loony Tunes) and musical genres where you might not expect it like country, rap and what not.

Oy!
yurshta is offline   Reply With Quote