Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

"The Times They Are A-Changin' (1964)"

"Come gather 'round people wherever you roam / And admit that the waters around you have grown / And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone / If your time to you is worth savin' / Then you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone / For the times they are a-changin'" It's amazing how the opening verse to this album is more relevant today than it was in the 60s. The era was full of protest songs and protest albums but only a handful have really stood the test of time. The Times They Are A-Changin' is one of those few.

This album was the first Dylan album I heard in its entirety so it holds a special place in my heart but when listening to it now after having heard albums like Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde I can't help but find it slightly repetitive. The odd thing is though it works for each song, but when listening to them back to back it can get slightly tiresome however it's still a very strong release. It's much more bleak than Freewheelin and in alot of ways much more powerful too.

Favorite Lyric: "Oh, but if I had the stars from the darkest night / And the diamonds from the deepest ocean / I'd forsake them all for your sweet kiss."
Favorite Songs: Boots Of Spanish Leather, Only A Pawn In Their Game, With God On Our Side, The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote