Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

"Bringing It All Back Home (1965)"

The music on here goes from folk, to blues, to rock and to something that was just Dylan. The rambling beat influenced poetry seems to fly by in only a few minutes when at times it's actually several minutes long, your attention never strays. Giving your attention to Dylan on songs like Bob Dylan's 115th dream is more a pleasure than something tedious.

Now while this is considered Bob Dylan's first electric album there's still some acoustic songs and he still held a love for it, though not so much his protest songs. He talks about it in the Dylan chronicles quite a bit. Some of his best acoustic material is on this album, most noted is Mr. Tambourine Man. This album would mark the start of something beautiful, that something was the beginning of the sound you'd see on Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde.

Dylan's lyrics prove to be getting better and better, though more and more off the wall. Part of that can probably be owed to LSD, which no doubt effected (and improved) his writing process. Songs like Gates of Eden are completely off the wall lyrically.

Favorite Lyric: "The wind howls like a hammer / The night blows cold and rainy / My love she's like some raven / At my window with a broken wing."
Favorite Songs: Gates of Eden, She Belongs To Me, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, Outlaw Blues, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

"Highway 61 Revisited (1965)"

What to say about Highway 61 Revisited, he took what he did with the last album and kicked it up a notch. This is easily in my top 3 favorite Dylan albums of all time and it's plenty of peoples number 1. It's considered his best and it's easy to say why. Every track is strong and the opening snare hit to Like a Rolling Stone is infamous. This album is when Dylan mastered his own sound, not say he did it perfect here, but he came close.

The rambling poetry over loud and energetic music, ranging from slow and bluesy to fast and rocky. Highway 61 Revisited proves to be a trip, both fun and sad. The lyrics are as bizarre as they are powerful on this album. Sometimes they're downright they're awful but in a very comical manner and all the biblical references are amusing. I really don't have much to say on this other than it's an essential Dylan album to own and if you don't already have it then get it. There's a reason its held in such high regard.

Favorite Lyric: "Cinderella, she seems so easy / "It takes one to know one," she smiles / And puts her hands in her back pockets, better Davis style / And in comes Romeo, he's moaning "you Belong to Me I Believe" / And someone says," You're in the wrong place, my friend you better leave" / And the only sound that's left after the ambulances go / Is Cinderella sweeping up on Desolation Row."
Favorite Songs: Tombstone Blues, Ballad of a Thin Man, Highway 61 Revisited, Desolation Row, Like a Rolling Stone

"Blonde on Blonde (1966)"

This was my favorite Bob Dylan album for a really long time but Monday when I was just listening to random tracks in his discography I realized my favorite had switched places with my second favorite. I will keep which album that is quiet for now. That being said, Blonde on Blonde was my favorite album for a really long time and I prefer it over Highway 61 Revisited.

Blonde on Blonde shows Dylan returning to his folk roots, not completely he kept a variety of backing instruments giving it a much more full sound and there's a definite blues influence going on there. He also still keeps the five minute plus songs of rambling poetry and I'm very glad he did. Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is easily one of my favorite songs by him ever.

Favorite Lyric: "Inside the museums, Infinity goes up on trial / Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while / But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues / You can tell by the way she smiles / See the primitive wallflower freeze / When the jelly-faced women all sneeze / Hear the one with the mustache say, "Jeeze I can't find my knees" / Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule / But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel."
Favorite Songs: Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, Visions of Johanna, I Want You, Just Like a Woman, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote