Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Hoenig - Baldur's Gate I & II Soundtracks
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Default Michael Hoenig - Baldur's Gate I & II Soundtracks

Michael Hoenig is a German composer who has written many soundtracks, played for Tangerine Dream and has a couple of solo albums. He was an editor for a music magazine during the birth of prog. Most of these soundtracks are film soundtracks, but his most famous works would have to be the Baldur's Gate I and II game soundtracks. His music is part of what made them such memorable games, possibly the greatest RPGs ever.

So I thought I'd provide a few samples of his work. I feel the BG2 soundtrack is better than the first one as it is more diverse and exotic sounding, but both are great. Unfortunately, there aren't many of his songs on youtube, and the ones that are there are mainly from the first soundtrack. The BG soundtracks are so good that I find myself listening to them when I'm not playing the game itself. He's at number 11 on my last.fm top artists.

EDIT: I just created this video - it's a selection of 5 tracks from the two soundtracks.

Some others:
Baldur's Gate II - Main Theme
Baldur's Gate I - Exploring the Plains
Baldur's Gate II - Romance I (ignore the video)