Music Banter - View Single Post - David Grubbs (Gastr Del Sol, Bastro, etc)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Default David Grubbs (Gastr Del Sol, Bastro, etc)

I did a search and nothing came up in this forum, or in the indie forum regarding the wonderful David Grubbs, therefore...

He's been in several great bands. He started off in Squirrel Bait, which was a post hardcore sorta band that had a couple of pretty cool releases before they splintered into other bands...some of them into Slint who we all know.

David then formed Bastro, who had a slightly more challenging, Albini-esque sound, mixing the sound of Squirrel Bait with more complex, mathy drumming (originally a drum machine, doubtless inspired by Big Black, and later on with John McEntire who later played with Tortoise).

Gastr Del Sol followed Bastro, and they were essentially the same band, but with a marked change in their sonic direction. They incorporated elements of Fahey-style guitar work, folk, free jazz, classical, electronica and krautrock to create a fairly original sound which they developed throughout their releases. The band was basically a mix of David Grubbs and Jim O'Rourke, so of course they've got some good stuff. They were among the first bands to be called "post-rock", although their sound shares almost nothing in common with the popular post rock bands of today like Sigur Ros and Godspeed. Lyrically, they're often completely nonsensical, using surrealist imagery and often awkward phrasings. I would regard Gastr Del Sol as one of the best bands of the 90s, and they'd be pretty high in my favourite bands of all time list. Their album "Camoufleur" should be essential listening for fans of alternative music, however vague that statement may be. Check it check it check it.

So anyone heard any of David Grubbs' work? I've still to listen to his solo work, but these bands come pretty highly recommended.

Oh aye, he also participated in that 77 Boadrum event that the Boredoms put on. Here's an interesting docu on that...

77 BOADRUM | VIDEO | VIVA-RADIO.COM

I will never post anything like this again so enjoy and goodbye etc.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote