Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Top 5 Songs About Loss
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

"Sweetness Follows"—REM: You don't get more "about loss" than a song talking about burying your parents. The organ, the cello, and the vocals all come together to make me think of every funeral I've ever been to and that wrung-out feeling that comes with them.

"My Father's House"—Bruce Springsteen: Minimal instrumentation and reverb-drenched vocals highlight the lonesome, regret-filled lyrics of this song about a falling out between a father and son. There's something very universal about what's expressed in this song, the fear of removing yourself so far from your family that you completely lose them, and I think that's what has made this one of the more well-known songs on the album it comes from.

"You're Missing"—Bruce Springsteen: A song about all the little things left behind when a loved one is gone. Released in the wake of 9/11, this song really has a special resonance for me and chokes me up every time I hear it. I am definitely not the world's biggest Springsteen fan but there's a reason he makes this list twice: he's damn good at writing this kind of song.

"The Warming Sun"—Grandaddy: Lyrics dreaming of an alternate life where a break-up never happened and comparing it to reality where the singer's lover ended up with a guy he realizes is a much better person than him. The lyrics are so self-deprecating, sung with such an innocence and set against such a dynamic song structure that it pulls me in ever time.

"Blind"—TV on the Radio: Lyrics about seeing a lost love in the faces of strangers on the sidewalk sung mournfully over music evocative of a crumbling city skyline. This song feels like a vast hollow space in my chest every time I hear it.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote