Music Banter - View Single Post - Best British band of the 90's
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Interesting choice. I hadn't thought of them, and might actually agree with you, for once.

But otherwise I woulda said My Bloody Valentine in spite of their activity being confined to the early years of the decade. Or Portishead, even...

And yeah, with regard to the Radiohead discussion, when I said "only striking achievement" I meant that in an artistic sense. The Bends is a not particularly great alt-rock album, and Creep, while a good track, is in the end just one song.
I just can't imagine a British band in the '90s which I enjoy more thoroughly. The new stuff that Jason Pierce puts out is remarkably good, even in comparison to We Are Floating in Space. On the other hand, Kevin Shields hasn't been nearly productive enough to fill out as great a musical void. With Loveless as his only contribution to music in the last eighteen years (and the entirety of the '90s), I think that he has an appropriate influence, but much too overstated for his short productive era. Similarly, I would never put Neutral Milk Hotel in that category (yes, I am aware that they are American). One good album just isn't enough.

And I agree with you about Radiohead. I mean, I enjoy The Bends and OKC but I would never go as far to call them a defining '90s band, especially when they never really achieved their trademark sound until '00.