Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 100 Guitarists Of All Time:
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
Lol yes!

Eddie Van Halen has no business being near the top of any list, same goes for Angus Young. Talented as they may be, they were two of the most unoriginal jokes of all time.
unoriginal jokes? find me anyone who played like EVH prior to 1978. anyone at all. i think he's a cheeseball who hasn't done anything of note in the last 20+ years but to claim he's one of the most unoriginal jokes of all time just shows how narrow of a scope you have in regards to guitar playing.

i don't think sales should have been a criteria in compiling the list but whatever, EVH would have high marks on pretty all the others. having said that i really don't like his guitars, his style, or even his face, but i'm not going to let my personal bias cloud my critical judgement. the guy 'can' play, he was unique and original in his day, and he had a massive influence on a generation of guitarists.

and yes.... i know technically top spots should have gone to charlie christian or django reinhardt but that list wasn't made up by a bunch of elitists snobs who just want to one up themselves with their extensive knowledge gleaned from wikipedia and allmusic.com. it was a list compiled for a rock show and website, it stands to reason that it would be a bunch rock guys from the last 4 decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote