Music Banter - View Single Post - Sneer's Emporium of Sound
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

The Kills
Keep on Your Mean Side

"Superstition" – 4:40
"Cat Claw" – 3:32
"Pull a U" – 3:23
"Kissy Kissy" – 5:02
"Fried My Little Brains" – 2:08
"Hand" – 0:50
"Hitched" – 4:02
"Black Rooster" – 4:24
"Wait" – 4:47
"**** the People" – 4:17
"Monkey 23" – 3:06
"Gypsy Death & You" – 2:11

It’s a shame they’re associated with Noel Fielding, Kate Moss and the rest of the tabloid chimps these days because I feel it somewhat detracts attention away from their music. Keep on Your Mean Side is, in my opinion, their best album. At times infectiously aggressive, at other times poignantly introspective, its simplicity is its strength. The paradox though lies in the fact that the pair manage to cram in a myriad of influences and styles. From primal, blues-driven garage punk circa Cramps and early White Stripes to psychedelia, folk and velvet underground-esque noise pop. Hotel’s guitar sounds like it’s just been put through a cheese grater, whilst Alison Mosshart’s vocals imbue a sexiness which just draws you in.

Songs such as Pull A U, Fried My Little Brains, Superstition, Hitched and Cat Claw rattle along with a pulsating urgency, whilst the dark, psychedelic Kissy Kissy succeeds in taking the listener to another place. The last track, Gypsy Death & You is a folky gem, highlighting the lyrical prowess of the band.

At times they can come off as pretentious, the pointless interlude in the middle only succeeds in spoiling the flow of the album – but overall it’s a wonderfully dirty and lo-fi effort that chugs along at an exuberant, satisfying pace.

Last edited by Sneer; 01-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote