Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official EBM Thread.
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Default The Official EBM Thread.

I thought it was about time we had a dedicated thread to a form of music I really like and as it touches on Metal, Industrial and Experimental, it is surely worthy of it's own thread.

The early history was a form of Electronic music that used repetitive beats, distorted vocals, samples and sequences. With the rise of computer technology and Dance music EBM has been able to diverge and assimilate into many other genres. Early bands such as Nitzer Ebb and Throbbing Gristle were early forerunners as were the classic repepitive beats of Kraftwerk.

European bands such as Front 242, Cabaret Voltaire and later bands from father afield such as Frontline Assembly and Skinny Puppy were distorting Electronic music even further.

In the 90's and beyond many bands have toned down the extraneous samples and vocals and are playing an alternative Dance sound which appeals to both Metal, Goth and Dance fans alike. Icon Of Coil, Wumpscut and Cubanate are examples of this.

I know there are a few fans out there but if not, here is a few examples of the movement:

Front 242 - Headhunter:

Skinny Puppy - Protest:

Mindless Faith - Bound:

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote