Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I must admit the thought of doing a Top 100 interests me but I'm always blown away by members who do this. Its very ambitious. I'm not sure I'd have it in me. Respect.

Oh and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
92. The Music - The Music (2002)

Despite the fact they're from sunny old Leeds, the Music rode the crest of the wave of NME hype to bring the finest elements of the Madchester scene to a new generation of music-lovers, that generation being my one. Consequently we're given an absolute gem of the whole Happy Mondays-esque dance/rock hybrid-thing. The fact the band were completely baked throughout the recording sessions shows as well, especially during the album's quieter, more spaced-out moments like the aptly named Too High. One of the albums of the decade from one of the bands of the decade. While being nothing truly original, this album was a good few years ahead of its time, seeing as the god-awful 'nu-rave' movement came about much later.
The best bits: Take the Long Road and Walk It, Float, Getaway

90. The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Hörse Of the Dög (2002)

One thing you'll probably notice as this list continues is there's not so much of the heavy stuff in here. You'll find the odd example though, this hybrid of psychobilly and hardcore punk being one of them. Violent, noisy, raucous, hyper; have a listen and judge for yourself. Another one of my picks for album of the decade.
The best bits: Celebrate Your Mother, Whack Of Shit, Charge the Guns
Even more respect. I havent heard the Matchbox's second record yet (but I have just recently acquired it after wanting it for a long, long time so that'll be getting a spin soon) but the first one is something I love. I used to play it over and over again and take it to the occasional gathering/piss up.

And The Music? The second record is decent, the third is decent enough but rather disappointing. The debut however would be on my list but even further towards the top. Im staring at a poster of the debut's album cover as I type this with a gig ticket stuck to the bottom right hand corner of it. Great record, and you are right in that you can tell the band were destroyed making it, the opening track is a complete haze and really punches you in the face. You are correct when you say its nothing original, if you cant hear the Led Zep influence in it then I'd question your hearing but i love it and the gig I went to in promotion of this record remains one of the very best gigs I've ever seen. I don't think vocals that werent screamed have ever actually hurt my ears so much before.

*Round of applause*

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote