Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post

I remember that song! Those were the days eh. I'll have a look 'round for their first two efforts when I can. Cheers for the heads-up mate.

Alright, here's the next batch;

88. Big Youth - Screaming Target (1972)

This, the debut album from Jamaican DJ Manley Augustus Buchanan, aka Big Youth, is one of the generally-accepted classics of roots reggae and for good reason too. It still stands up today as a shining, timeless example of roots at its finest, getting by on some terrific rhythms and vocals which, a few places, are almost a precursor to the ragga style. Highly influential, and one of the essential reggae albums.
The best bits: Pride and Joy Rock, the Killer, Solomon a Gunday

87. Magazine - Real Life (1978)

It's about time I got some post-punk in here. Being the first Magazine album I bought, this is the one which wins a place in the list for me. Being the debut from ex-Buzzcock's frontman Howard Devoto, needless to say, the change in direction is absolutely incredible. The album kicks into gear with the Definitive Gaze; the synth-led instrumental intro alone is as brilliant as showcase as any of what punk could achieve by casting off the shackles of its earliest form and moving forward artistically. The album then varies from prog/punk mashups to energetic, fasty-moving rockers, (that's how it sounds to me anyway), and is one of the true post-punk classics.
The best bits: The Definitive Gaze, Shot By Both Sides, the Light Pours Out Of Me

86. Johnny Thunders - So Alone (1978)

Following his first post-New York Dolls album sinking like a stone upon release, the former Dolls lead guitarist decided to ditch his backing band and simply make the music he truly loved. This rootsy album, containing elements of rock 'n' roll, blues, glam and shades of the energy of punk rock, is a showcase for the talents of someone who had the potential to become one of the truly great songwriters. Unfortunately, Johnny Thunders was also one of the famous rock 'n' roll casualties, and so before his death from a heroin overdose in 1991 he only released one more album (the wishy-washy Que Sera Sera). This album though was his finest artistic achievement. (An interesting bit of trivia, the cover of Otis Blackwell's Daddy Rollin' Stone features contributions from guest vocalists Steve Marriot and Phil Lynott - two more big names who died relatively young. Spooky!)
The best bits: You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory, Great Big Kiss, Downtown

85. The Wedding Present - George Best (1987)

The Wedding Present's 1987 release basically epitomises all the good bits of the C86 indie movement and rolls them all into one nice package. It's very upbeat, friendly and immediate indie, which is clearly heavily influenced by Joy Division and the Buzzcocks, and is up there with the rest of my favourite albums of the 80s. Why no higher? Simply because I can't fit it into the top 30 without letting something undeserving drop out of it. Rest assured though, it's definitely one of the very best C86 albums. (An even better package is delivered by the George Best Plus re-release, so keep an eye peeled for that if you don't already have it).
The best bits: Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft, My Favourite Dress, Something and Nothing

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-13-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote