Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Default Clutch-Robot Hive/Exodus

well, here's another review:

Release Date: June 21, 2005
Label: DRT Entertainment

As some of you may or may not know, I'm a big fan of the band Clutch. they're one of the first bands i got into and one of the few that i still listen to today. Clutch is a band that has survived through the 90s, with all of the numetal and grunge and haved emerged with their own cohesive style, fusing alternative, hard rock, and blues, among several other styles. They always seem to be developing further, fine tuning their style while still staying true to themselves. Each song on the album is it's own thing, but still has a familiar tone. One thing these guys have been about is big, meaty riffs, and that's just what this album offers. Tim Sult and Dan Maines make a great guitar/bass combo; bouncing ideas off of each other and laying one hell of a foundation. The addition of a organ/keyboard player, Mick Schauer, is a good one. he makes subtle, yet punchy additions to the songs. Drummer Jean Paul Gaster annihilates the drum kit as well as providing some jazzy fills. Then there's Neil Fallon. The masterful lyricist with an English degree of all things under his belt, who weaves bazzare and very cerebral lyrics in his "pack a day" vocal style. This album has much to offer for people who like their rock laden with some blues. There's a good amount of hard rocking tunes mixed with laid back, atmospheric touches that make this a good album whether you need to be pumped up or just want to relax. in all, i give this a 9.5/10.

The Incomparable Mr. Flannery -This song is one of the more rocking ones, with a Zeppelin-esque sound to it and a catchy as hell riff/chorus. a kind of song when you want to rock out at a college party

Burning Beard-this is kind of the oddball on the record. it's alot heavier than the other songs. a real headbanger, sounding like something that would be on one of their older records. it also goes the "Black Dog" route; play riff-stop-sing-play riff-stop-sing, etc. great song though

Gullah-my favorite song on the record. the opening riff fires in with fury, then preceded by one of Dan's best bass lines to date. the keyboard comes out well on this song, especially at the really funky part of the song. overall a great song by the whole band

Mice and Gods-another really rocking song that you can chill out to. the chorus is catchy as hell, and the riffs are perfectly placed.

Pulaski Skyway-Tim Sult gives a tasty intro in this song about industrialization. At this point in the album, the keyboard is out in front with the guitar and bass. the guitar solo is spaced out and just goood.

Never Be Moved-This song up until the middle isn't bad. Not great, but not bad. Then the guitar and bass kick in with a quick, almost punkish riff. there's even a keyboard solo

10001110101-a very calm, floating intro with the keyboards, then the song kicks in. This song seems to be about a robot messiah, named 10001110101. and if you think you won't be able to remember that name, don't worry, Neil sings it in a way and enough where you'll have it stuck in your head for the rest of your life

Small Upsetters-technically an instrumental, albeit one line of lyrics here and there. a somewhat jamming, yet chill song

Circus Maximus-destined to be one of their classics, about a circus with the most unusual of creatures. A funky and undeniably catchy riff as well as singing.

Tripping The Alarm-The second instrumental on the album. this one has more of a jamming feel, like the guys are more into the song this time

10,000 Witnesses-I feel like i'm in a Gospel Church whenever i hear this. probably because of the choirlike 'hey, uh huh huh huh" being repeated throughout the song.

Land Of Pleasant Living-This is a VERY chilled out song, with the echoes of the keyboard and the bassline. When the guitar kicks in, it speeds up a bit, but is still out of it.

Gravel Road-This is a cover of a blues song by Fred "Missisipi" Mcdowell, and they cover it pretty good, even using acoustic guitars like old blues players. it's really a combination of electric and acoustic. when it sounds like it's going to end, Jean Paul takes the skins like a madman, and at the last second, the song shifts into a real heavy riff that only Clutch could do and an ending solo with JP once again at the drums

Who's Been Talking?-yet another blues cover, this time by Howlin Wolf. a pretty nice end to the album.

here's some of the songs, for your listening pleasure
YouTube - Clutch - The Incomparable Mr. Flannery
YouTube - Clutch - "Burning Beard" DRT Entertainment
YouTube - Clutch - Gullah
YouTube - Clutch - Mice And Gods
YouTube - Clutch - Pulaski Skyway
YouTube - Clutch 10001110101 Robot hive exodus
YouTube - CLUTCH-Circus Maximus
YouTube - Clutch - Gravel Road

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 05-14-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote