Music Banter - View Single Post - The definitive Paul Weller thread
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Default Paul Weller Appreciation Thread

Now this may not be too popular as most people I come across dont really appreciate him as much as I do.
He is one of my favourite artists. I first heard The Jam first whom I rate the lowest amongst all of his musical projects. I prefer the Style Council although they commited some terrible crimes in some of their videos (check out 'Long Hot Summer' if you dare!) they had a lot more creativity bringing funk,soul& r&b with strongly political motivation behind most of their songs) than the hooligan-like anthems The Jam did although 'That's Entertainment' is a fantastic song. My favourite Style Council album is their very last one entitled 'Confessions Of A Pop Group'. Massively underrated album.
But most of all it is Paul Weller's solo work for me that stands head and shoulders above The Jam & The Style Council put together. My favourites are his first self titled album which is sort of a cross between his move into more guitar based music & still reminiscent of the Style Council at the same time. Wild Wood has such a raw sound that it sounds like hes there with you in your livingroom playing + every single song from start to finish is immense. (Best tracks 'Can You Heal Us Holy Man','5th Season','Country', 'All The Pictures On The Wall' + the two instrumental tracks are cracking.
Also Stanley Road is obviously his most commercially succesful but contains some of the most beautiful songs Ive ever heard- 'Stanley Road', 'Porcelain Gods', 'Broken Stones', 'Wings Of Speed' but most of all 'Time Passes'- I have the deluxe edition also where he did demo covers of Neil Young's 'Out On The Weekend' which i actually prefer to the original & 'Corrina Corrina' off Bob Dylans 'Freewheelin' album.
Also I love the Heavy Soul album i think the title track is excellent especially the lyrics- 'We're Words Upon A Window, Written There In Steam...' Also I bought the 'Brushed' (from Heavy Soul) single a few months and contains a great extended jam from Stanley Road sessions called 'Steam' & a good track called 'Shoot The Dove' + an excellent cover of 'Aint No Love In The Heart Of The City'.
Personally I think he kind of lost his way after 1997+ but sort of picked up with As Is Now (2005) (although I throughly enjoyed his 'Studio 150' covers album (2004)) but really blew me away with '22 Dreams' which is really excellent especially the last three tracks on the album which is just pure experimentation. Also the first track on the album 'Light Nights' has been described as 'Acid Folk'.
As for Live albums I love the 'Live Wood' album and personally rank it amongst one of the greatest live albums of all time (out of what Ive heard so far anyway). Just the sheer energy of that album makes it one of my favourites.
Also another gem to check out is his Glastonbury 1994 Performance where he did the cover of Neil Young's 'Ohio' again this is parallel to the sheer energy and passion from 'Live Wood' performances.
YouTube - Paul Weller- Ohio Live

Anyway anyone who agrees/disagrees with anything I have said here please get back to us..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote