Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Default The Jimi Hendrix Experience-Axis, Bold as Love

well time for another review.......

Release Date: December 1, 1967 (UK), January 15, 1968 (US)
Label: Track (mono & stereo), Barclay (stereo), Polydor (Europe - different stereo mix only, Overseas - stereo only), Reprise (mono & stereo), MCA (stereo CD & mono LP)

This was Hendrix's second studio album, and one of the most important of his career. as you may guess from the album cover, this represented quite a shift than what was on Are You Experienced?. This showed the band branching out into more genres and experimental ventures. alot of studio work is used on here to create soundscapes almost unheard of, even by today's standards. The guitarwork of Jimi Hendrix is in it's prime, while being great as a soloist, his rhythmic style on many of the songs is just as intriguing. Its not just Hendrix who shines on this album either, both Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding have some really good moments on Axis. In all, i give this album a 10/10, and recommend it to ANYONE, not just fans of rock music, cause it's quite the trip.

EXP- The beginning of the album is a mock radio station, called EXP, and uses guitar to imitate some really strange sounds. it's a bit creepy, imo, but definately one hell of a way to introduce the record.

Up From the Skies- a very chill and relaxed song, but at the same time pretty toe tapping. the guitar solo is a bit standard, but fits well. also the bass isn't as present here as in later songs.

Spanish Castle Magic- almost a 180 from the last song, this is one of Jimi's hardest rocking songs, with some kickass riffs that'll get you headbanging in no time. definately one hell of a listen

Wait Until Tomorrow- this song showcases Jimi's R&B influences, along with showing some of his rhythmic prowess. the backup vocals on here work well too.

Ain't No Telling- pretty quick and straightforward song, with some good rhythms and guitar work, though it doesn't "wow" me that much.

Little Wing- one of my favorite songs EVER. such a beautiful and delicate song, and in my opinion, his best solo, because of the sheer feeling put into it. anyone who wants to get into Hendrix needs to listen to this

If 6 Was 9- there's a strong feeling of defiance and rage here. a real rough and tumble song at first, then it transitions into a point which i could only call total insanity. at that point there's one hell of a bass run and guitar solo. the lyrics are also very strange and somewhat cryptic. that along with alot of studio trickery definately makes it one of the band's more psychedelic releases.

You Got Me Floating- not the best song to follow If 6 was 9, but still a good song. there's some studio work on this one too, but it's a bit more subtle here

Castles Made of Sand- this is a great song, showing just why Hendrix was one of the best guitarists ever. i can't really explain this song, it's really something you'll have to hear to believe.

She's So Fine -bassist Noel Redding takes the vocals on this one. not as much of a deep song as the rest of the album, but kind of a fun, happy go-lucky kind of trip

One Rainy Wish- almost a ballad, emphasis on ALMOST. a very beautiful and heartfelt song for anyone who just know songs like Purple Haze and think Jimi was just a crazy guy who lit his guitar on fire.

Little Miss Lover- one of those "hey girl, you're hot. let's sex" songs. kind of makes Jimi look like a badass

Bold as Love- another song which is beautiful, but at the same time hit's you right where it hurts. one of the best songs on the cd, and just when you think it's over, it continues and fades out with an impromptu jam

here's some of the songs for anyone who wants to listen. oh yeah, and ignore the "download this song" things in the beginning

EXP- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - EXP - Axis Bold As Love
Up From the Skies- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Up From The Skies - Axis Bold
Spaish Castle Magic- YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Spanish Castle Magic
Wait Until Tommorow- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Wait Until Tomorrow - Axis Bol
Little Wing- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Little Wing - Axis Bold As Lov
If 6 was 9- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - If 6 Was 9 - Axis Bold As Love
Castles Made of Sand- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Castles Made Of Sand - Axis Bo
Little Miss Lover- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Little Miss Lover - Axis Bold
Bold as Love- YouTube - the jimi hendrix experience - Bold As Love - Axis Bold As Lo

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 05-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote