Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #5590 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

This is the second King Crimson album I bought 'Thrak' (1995).
I thought it would be good to take one album each from the early and latter periods of their career in order to sort of determine which period I would like the most.
Surprisingly, although I have only listened to each album once;back to back, it is this one that stands out for me and can remember listening to this album and thinking it was a lot better.
This may anger 'proper' KC fans as they may see this album as being sh1t or their worst lol.
Im intriguied to know what the opinions on this album are.

The one thing that I've noticed, but didnt notice upon listening, is that a few of the tracks towards the end are really short, ranging around 0.43-1.47 at times, the best tracks for me though were 'Dinosaur', 'Walking On Air, & the closing 'Vroom Vroom' & 'Vroom Vroom Coda' tracks.
I found the 'Dinosaur' track amusing when the lead singer declares 'Im A Dinosaur, somebody is digging my bones'.
I first interpretated it as being a tongue in cheek declaration of his awareness that his band (at that time) had been around for nearly 30 years.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I think the drumming is totally immense on this album (especially on tracks such as 'B'boom' & 'Thrak'.

This is a solo album from the drummer from Husker Du.
I only bought it in a sale for around £3 odds on amazon & I it is pretty good- get the feeling its one of these albums that will grow on you after multiple listens.
Plus it is surprisingly good for a drummer. Another one Im still meaning to check out is Jack Irons' solo album 'Attention Dimension' (2004).

Was over at a relatives house and was browsing his cd collection when found this stuffed in a corner, asked him he said it was 'alright' & said I could borrow it if I wanted. This is another memeber from Husker Du.
Noticing a growing trend here? I find this really strange as its the first time I've actively went out and bought solo artists albums without actually hearing the original band they came from- which I havent heard any Husker Du at all yet!!.
Anyway my favourite track on this album is the first one 'Black Sheets Of Rain'. Other great tracks include 'It's Too Late', 'Stop Your Crying', 'Sacrifice Let There Be Peace' & 'Out Of Your Life.
There is a surprising trend about this album that there are multiple tracks I hear that really really sound like R.E.M- Im talking early R.E.M though.
All in all a very good album & have been listening to it over and over - must have heard it about 10 times by now.
Its not a grower, one that just sort of sticks with you from the first time you hear it. Suppose it is just a compilation and will have to get some proper albums.

I bought this album along with their album 'Starfish' which I have now surprisingly managed to 'lose' after only seeing it for about 2 days!
This album is an earlier one from around 1982 or so & has a totally different sound to the 'Starfish' album which to me sounded reminiscent of Bowie somehow.

To me the album has a more cleaner, straightforward sound and perhaps a bit more poppier compared to the later album 'Starfish' from around 1988.
It also lacks the dark feel that 'Starfish' had to me.
Still pretty good record though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 05-17-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote