Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #5591 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

I first came across this album after doing a random download search ,when someone recommended Glenn Branca to me on MB.
The first time I listened to it I had never heard anything like it before & was basically my first proper venture into the more serious side of Avant Garde.
It can actually be very relaxing to listen to late at night surprisingly as it can be very loud at times. (especially 'Disonnance'- I must be mad if i can relax listening to this).
At the start it basically sounds like it could be the start of some indie bands song but just goes on and on and on lol.
On the whole the feel of the music is very progressive, for instance there can be a build up for say 3-4 mins then the tempo can start to descend again.
Also at times there is irregular tempos with the guitar and drums going at totally different speeds. I find it really hard to describe cos its so f*cking weird lol.

Urban! You Listening?
This is the first Fall cd Ive actually bought (after downloading Shift Work & The Infotainment Scan).
I bought this after seeing a video on Youtube for the song 'Dead Beat Descendant' & then 'Mr Pharmacist' which both of I thought were really good songs.
It has taken me a while to get into The Fall & Mark E Smith but it is slowly growing on me & will definitely get some more records from them.

So far I only really heard their later stuff (late 80s-early 90s) but so far my favourite album is 'Shift -Work'- there is a song called 'Edinburgh Man' which i think is just fantastic (perhaps a bit bias as I come from Edinburgh lol) I think the line 'It's Summertime, but I still miss the skies so clear', 'Sitting & Staring On A Beach Somewhere' sum up Edinburgh perfectley .
Also the feel of the song actually sounds like Edinburgh to me (if thats possible).

I bought this album after randomly seeing him recommended by the editor on play.com.
I didnt know much about him apart from he did the theme tune to the movie 'Taxi' which I had originally mistaken for a movie of the same name I had seen in French years ago at high school.

I have since read that he is one of the more commercially successful jazz pianists & had actually had songs in the charts & with that in mind he is actually very very good & not boring and as limited as I had thought he would be after reading about his success.
There is a very good 30-odd page booklet which comes with the cd & gives you an insight into his career & also an interview with him.
Also at the back it has all the albums pictured which each song came from so Its handy for me to purchase the albums which my favourite tracks were from as opposed to having to research it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 05-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote