Music Banter - View Single Post - 80's Motown Dance Tunes
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
gandhara
Hi NRG fanatic

Rick James was at his peak in the early 80's, and Teena Marie was getting better and better. You could definately include all the cool jams from them at the time.

Rick James - Dance wit Me, Give it to me Baby, Superfreak, Standing on the Top (with the Temps), Throwdown, Pimp the Simp (or whatever that was called lol) New York Town, etc...anything from Street Songs, Throwin' Down, and Cold Blooded. Rick was the man! You could include some Mary Jane Girls and Val Young (seduction, if you should ever be lonely) as well.

Teena - Behind the Groove, Squarebiz, those are classic dancers.

Dazz Band are probably more in your (and mine) style of 80's dance & funk jams.

High Inergy can be included. they were Motown's premier late 70's early 80's girl trio. and Barbara Mitchell when she went solo if she stayed at Motown, I'm not sure.

Thelma Houston was still going strong, but I dont think she was at motown in the 80's. For a strong 80's female artist I would go with Syreeta. She was still at Motown in the 80's and was one of their greatest singers ever. Listen to "Move It, Do It"

wasnt Billy Preston at motown? the Billy and Syreeta duet albums are great.

Debarge was not very good with dance hits except Rhythm of the Night imo. I cant think of any other uptempo songs from them that are standouts and not too corny? sorry Debarge fans :p

Stevie and Smokey, Commodores and Lionel, and others mentioned here I'm not into so I dont know much about their work
gandhara is offline   Reply With Quote