Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill - Anteater's Reviews of the Curious & Obscure
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Ambrosia - Ambrosia (1975)

Track Listing

1. Nice, Nice, Very Nice (5:49)
2. Time Waits For No One (5:01)
3. Holdin' On To Yesterday (4:19)
4. World Leave Me Alone (3:17)
5. Make Us All Aware (4:28)
6. Lover Arrive (3:12)
7. Mama Frog (6:05)
8. Drink Of Water (6:29)

Yes, these are the same Californian douchebags that are responsible for many Top 40 hits in the late 70's and who did all that touring with The Doobie Brothers and Heart. For many they sound like the sort of band you'd want to avoid like you would Herpes and Scientologists. And yet...you would be wrong!

Go back far enough, and you'll find youself a progressive rock debut that is so infectious you'll do a double take merely by hearing it; are these really the same dudes who did "Biggest Part of Me"? Strangely enough yes, which makes the story behind this band's formation even funnier; as Crosby/Nash/Stills worshipping teenagers they heard King Crimson at a concert in San Pedro back in 1971 and in a single night their musical lives changed forever; after playing together awhile for the next four years and sending out a bunch of demo tapes, Warner Bros. went on to sign them and had Alan Parsons shipped out from the U.K. to give them the sound production they deserved.

The result? Nothing short of mindblowing. It produced two hit single songs, yet the music was complex, polyrythmic, sometimes very jazzy, and thanks to Parsons sounds dynamite even 30+ years later. Great lyrical sense and gorgeous vocals top the package off nicely, but the songs themselves are wonderfully varied as well; "Make Us All Aware" and "Mama Frog" are brilliant slices Gentle Giant-esque progressive rock with Motown sensibility, and "Holdin' On To Yesterday" is one of those rediculously gorgeous songs that can define an entire decade of music in 4 little minutes. But these are merely examples; there's not a single weak track on here, and with clocking at 38 minutes or so makes it a very good album for people being introduced to the poppier side of 1970's progressive rock.

Although they lightened up a fair amount after this self-titled debut and its immediate followup, I would highly recommend this album to anyone and everyone who appreciates what happens when a South Californian pop band begins to write songs like King Crimson, Yes or Gentle Giant would. A very fun listen from start to finish!

Album Verdict: 6.6/7

Oh, and here's a live performance of Mama Frog for you guys' enjoyment.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 01-25-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote