Music Banter - View Single Post - ABC&T Presents : Your Introduction to Prog
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy111 View Post
Thanks for a great thread. Already picked up about 4 or 5 of the beginners albums listed. (Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Comus, Caravan and Rush).
Cool that you're checking stuff out Most of the albums are quite different and should cater to different tastes, so it makes sense that someone like yourself won't like all of them. Caravan's my personal favourite from the bunch you got and if you like it, you should also check out their widely regarded magnum opus (though opinions like my own differ) "In the Land of Grey and Pink" which is has a more folky sound and is often regarded as the quintessential Canterbury album (see Canterbury scene on wikipedia if you're unsure what it means and wanna find out).

Listen to it on : Spotify / Last.FM

I personally rate "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night" just a little higher, but this is also a magnificent album full of charm and has songs about flings, drugs, imaginary utopias and other things. Also, the album feels very english in a sense, more so than plump girls.

edit :

I've added Spotify links for those who have that program and also last.fm links to albums on the list in the fashion seen above This allows for easy sampling (last.fm) or even easy access to the whole album for free (spotify). Last.fm you know how works and clicking the spotify links will open that program and show you that album.