Music Banter - View Single Post - Review Thread: The Chameleon: David Bowie Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

1. Five Years
  2. Soul Love
  3. Moonage Daydream
  4. Starman
  5. It Ain't Easy
  6. Lady Stardust
  7. Star
  8. Hang On To Yourself
  9. Ziggy Stardust
  10. Suffragette City
  11. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Year: 1972

The year is 1972, concert albums are all the rage, and a chameleon is on the loose. In a year known for some of the greatest albums of all time, this one always gets a mention alongside them. And it really isn’t hard to see why. From the first few minutes you’re already enthralled with the story. Anyone familiar with the album by this point will be singing along enthusiastically. Knowing every word from a multitude of repeated listens.

This is the kind of album you have here, this isn’t an album you get tired of. It only gets better and better the more familiar you get with it. You can even see for yourself thanks to our friends at last.fm, the entire album is fully streamable. The whole album flows very well, if not entirely consistently. You’ll notice a lot of stylistic changes held together well by the plot.

Parts of the album, like Moonage Daydream feel very heavily produced, which adds to the desired futuristic-ish effect. The album even gets a spacey feel from time to time. Mick Ronson, as always is on top form, all of the solos here are efficiently done. I’ve always wanted him to do a bit more on the album, but the restraint here works well. The overt glam rock is just pure heaven; you’ll very quickly find yourself lost in the music.

I’ve always gotten a Beach Boys vibe from Star, the background “oohs” and vocals just add so much to the song. My favourite part of the album is the three songs leading to Ziggy’s stardom, Star, Hang On To Yourself and Ziggy Stardust. Just following the story here is insanely entertaining, and every time Ziggy Stardust comes on I can’t help but smile. Everyone knows the title track, but it really does need to be appreciated in the album context. Mick Ronson excels himself here, the solos, the riffs, everything just works so well.

Following here is the insanely catchy Suffragette City, which has some of the most infectious guitar playing in the history of glam. And, of course, Wham bam thank you ma'am! If you don’t feel any form of emotion at the end of the album, then you’re a heartless, worthless poor excuse for a human and I want nothing more to do with you. Sitting here, swaying side to side, I can only wish it was possible to give more than maximum marks.

The album takes you through a rollercoaster of emotion, musical shifts and vocal hooks. David Bowie really outdoes himself here, this is a must have, regardless of your tastes.

10/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote