Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Two songs by Lynyrd Skynyrd, because they have been one of my favorite bands for a long time even though most of their stuff has been played to shreds. But these two songs I am reviewing have really flown under the radar and they deserve some praise.

SONG: Was I Right Or Wrong
ARTIST: Lynyrd Skynyrd
ALBUM: Second Helping

Starts off with a bang. Loud poweful electric guitars right at the beginning, typical Skynyrd sound, and then it trails off with a wammy bar into the steady guitar riff that will continue throught the song. Ronnie Van Zant tries something a little different with his vocals in this one. He has almost a mumbly whisper for the first half explaining the story line (which is pretty interesting). But my favorite part is when the song hits the 2 minute mark and its pauses slighty. Then the huge guitar jams start and Ronnie belts out the chorus, adding all these vocal pitch changes here and there. And the song just keeps going on awesomly from there, and eventually returns back to the original guitar riff. If I hadn't heard the next song I'm going to review, I would have thought this is as Southern Rock as you can get. I haven't met anyone yet who has not thoroughly enjoyed this song.

SONG: Four Walls of Raiford
ARTIST: Lynyrd Skynyrd
ALBUM: Legend

In this song, Skynyrd goes traditional. If this doesn't say the South, then I don't know what does. This song will keep you wrapped up in the story it is telling and Ronnie Van Zant sings the part so believably you can't help but feel his pain. I'm not sure which of the band members played the guitar in this one, but they played it so slow and wangy it sounded like something you would hear a guy playing on his old hot porch in the South way back in the day.

Last edited by Flower Child; 06-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote