Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #121 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

The Beginner's Guide To Indie Hip Hop

I know most people on this forum are pretty well verse with the independent hip hop circuit, but this is just something to open people up to a few more artists. Also I was kind of bored and decided to do one, so I hope you enjoy.

01. "Alphabet Aerobics" - Blackalicious

The song that got me into hip hop. I remember I had a friend of mine pick me up from work, we got baked in his car and he threw this song on in an attempt to open me up to hip hop and well... it worked. Before I heard this I had the popular misconception that all hip hop was misogynistic music that glorified violence and consumerism. Boy was I ever wrong...

02. "She Says..." - The Blend

More of a rock based song, but out of all The Blend's songs, I felt this one is probably their strongest. It brings to light just how much more you can get out of your music if the emcee can both sing and rap.

03. "Digital Cafe ft. Viveca" - Audible Mainframe

I've been pushing these guys for awhile, and for good reason... they're fucking good. This is probably one of the most relaxing songs I've ever heard in my life, with a great song structure and delivery.

04. "Remember His Name" - Jurassic 5

The best thing about hip hop is that it's a story telling genre, much like country music. Jurassic 5 were one of the first indie groups I got into and for good reason, they know how to tell stories while making great laid back beats that the West Coast is known for.

05. "America Loves Gangsters" - CunninLynguists

CunninLynguists are quite possibly my favourite hip hop group, so trying to choose a song that represents their best attributes can be tough. I think this one does the best job because it has a great beat, and shows the skill of all three of it's members, Deacon The Villian, Natti, and Kno.

06. "Angel Eyes" - Sadistik

Newcomer to the underground hip hop scene, but this kid has got some serious talent. When I first heard him I thought he was just another Eminem clone, but then I started listening to him with headphones on and could hear the passion in his voice and lyrics. Just try and listen to this song and tell me he's not talented.

07. "Comes And Goes" - Sweatshop Union

Yep, I had to throw in a Canadian group, if not to prove to people that Canada can create some pretty good rappers, but to share this incredibly catchy and well written song. Probably one of the best beats and hooks I've ever heard, this song is easily in my top ten.

08. "None Shall Pass" - Aesop Rock

I was conflicted with what song to choose, at first I was leaning towards "9-5er's Anthem" because it was my first Aesop Rock song that, ironically, I heard as I was walking to my dead end job. I decided to choose "None Shall Pass" though because it's one of the few songs in which Aesop Rock actually flows with the beat. Incredibly catchy and inspiring, it is one of his best.

09. "What's Hardcore" - K'Naan

The first K'Naan song I ever heard and man does it ever pack a punch. For people not familiar with this artist, he's a Somalian hip hop artist who lived there during the Somali Civil War, after his father fled to New York, continually sending money back. His mother filed for an Exit Visa, and as luck would have it, they managed to leave Somalia on the last commercial flight out of the country before the government of Mohamed Siad Barre fell. Living in Somalia during the civil war gave K'Naan a first hand few at the horrors of war and the desperation in people. While living in New York City and finally Canada, he saw the commercial rappers talking about living in their ghettos and the pride some of them took in the violence that follows, and decided to answer back with "What's Hardcore". Seriously pay attention to the lyrics on this one.

10. "You Never Know Ft. Jean Grae" - Immortal Technique

No indie hip hop compilation is complete without at least one Immortal Technique song. I decided to choose one of his less angry and conspiracy based songs on a more personal one. This is one emotional song taking a more realistic and beautiful look at what love really is, easily his best work.

I hope you enjoy this little mix, if anything strikes your fancy and you want to hear the rest of the album just let me know and I'll see what I can do about giving you a hook up.

Enjoy!

Download
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote