Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Country Albums
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Default Classic Country Albums

Wanted! The Outlaws
Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jesse Colter, Tompall Glaser

Perhaps the mother of all outlaw country music albums. Wanted! The Outlaws showed who was boss by selling a million copies, which had never been done before in country music history. This album was categorized as "Outlaw" because of the dislike that Jennings, Nelson, Colter and Glaser had for record producer Chet Adkins' newly softened and watered down Nashville country music sound. Instead of giving in to this latest trend, these musicians, along with others, took a jump and went out on thier own so that they could play their music the way they wanted to play it, raw and genuine.

Not only were these four musicans business parteners, but also very good friends, not to mention Jennings and Colter were even married. I think that these friendships added to the success of the album because of the great chemisty you hear and feel when these artists duet and jam together.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys An acoustic guitar, bass guitar, and Waylons voice which is all you need. A pretty slow beat for being the first track of the album, but approprietly though, for the subject matter Waylon is singing about. This song is as good a description of the lives of these musicans and outlaws as any.

Honky Tonk Heroes Another description by Jennings of the lives that these men are leading, but alot more light-hearted and faster. And I have to mention those amazing harmonica wails.

Whats Happened To Blue Eyes I'm not the biggest fan of female country music singers and Jesse Colter is not my favorite, but I think the female presence she brings is nice among all this rough and tumble music. She does a pretty respectable job in this song, but its not my favorite track on the album by any means.

You Mean To Say Another by Colter and better than the last. She is a pretty good song writer, I will give her that. But I know why she is on the album, and its not because of her singing, haha.

Suspicious Minds A duet with Waylon and Jesse of the old Elvis song. I think the country twist is pretty interesting but a pretty yuppy song for this album. To be honest, I usually skip over this one.

Good Hearted Woman Now THIS is what I'm talkin about! Willie and Waylon singing and jamming it out live. That beginning classic rhythm is so full of anticipation. And that deep voice of Waylon just pulls you in to everything he is saying. Then Willie and his unique and contrasting trademark voice comes in and takes everything to a whole nother level. I, personally, adore the lyrics. I may be more apt to liking this song just because it is something that I have grown up listening to, but this hits home for so many people. My favorite lyric.

"He likes the bright lights and night life and good time friends
And when the party's all over she'll welcome him back home again
Lord knows she don't understand him but she does the best that she can
A-this good hearted woman, lovin' a good timin' man"

Heaven or Hell By far my favorite song on the album, and possible my favorite country song of all time. Everything is so simple in this song. The guitar riff, the lyrics, the vocals, and its only 1:41 seconds long. And who hasn't felt this before?

Sometimes it's heaven, sometimes it's hell
Sometimes I don't even know
Sometimes I take it as far as I can
Sometimes I don't even go

My front tracks are headed for a cold water well
My back tracks are covered with snow
Sometimes it's heaven,sometimes it's hell

Heaven ain't walking a street paved with gold
Hell ain't a mountain of fire
Heaven is laying in my sweet baby's arms
Hell is when my baby's not there

My front tracks are headed for a cold water well
My back tracks are covered with snow
Sometimes it's heaven, sometimes it's hell

Sometimes it's heaven,
Sometimes it's hell,

Me and Paul Willie takes over and this song tells the humorous adventures of Willie Nelson and the drummer of his band, Paul English and all the trouble they have been getting into. And they add a little slam to Nashville while they're at it. I love the sound quality in this song, echoey and almost far away, it just reeks of old age. Great track.

Yesterday's Wine Classic Willie, this song. Much more of a poet than any of the guys on the album. This song is just another beauty by Willie, I can't really even say anything about this song, just because it is what it is. You'll just have to listen to it.

T For Texas On the complete other hand, Tompall Glaser is the rowdiest on the album and also the shallowest. Not that that is a bad thing though, it makes for a good change up. This song is just about a mixture of things. He throws in whatever he feels like singing. I rather like Tompall's mumbley trailing voice, though.

Put Another Log on the Fire I have a feeling Tompall might be like this in real life too because he calls out these orders like he's done it a million times. I would say this is my least favorite song on the album, but still its pretty entertaining.

Me And Paul

Last edited by Flower Child; 07-25-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote