Music Banter - View Single Post - Squirrel Bait Family Tree ~ Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Default Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven (1987)

Tracklist:
1. Kid Dynamite
2. Virgil's Return
3. Black Light Poster Child
4. Choose Your Posoin
5. Short Straw Wins
6. Kick The Cat
7. Too Close To The Fire
8. Slake Train Coming
9. Rose Island Road
10. Tape From California

The players:

David Grubbs - guitar

Left to right: Clark Johnson - bass, Peter Searcy - vocals, Brian McMahan - guitar

Ben Daughtry - drums

There is something about Louisville, Kentucky. I have personally never been there (save driving through on the interstate) but I have met several people who have spent time there and romanticize it as a place where urban East Coast mentality meets the Appalachian country way. If that’s true it would explain why the underground bands that came out of there in the 80s and 90s were literate, talented, and serious with a touch of backwoods folksiness.

Squirrel Bait sounds that way to me. In fact, if Skag Heaven had been released on Dischord records I’m convinced that it would be considered a modern classic instead of simply that band of high school kids that led to the formation of Slint. But that’s what they are – and it works in their favor. This is bar-none the most talented group of teenage punk rockers that I have heard and I mean that. Here’s why:

The album starts with 'Kid Dynamite'. It breaks out of the gates sounding like classic post-hardcore with a slight metallic edge. The song is fast, deliberate, and melodic. Skill is present and obvious from the get-go and it doesn’t take long for Peter Searcy to display his vocals which quickly become the focal point. And they deserve it. This guy has that elusive quality that can make a band famous. It’s an energetic, screamy rasp that remains controlled and melodic. Others who use(d) it include: John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Rick Froberg (Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, Obits), and Ben Nichols (Lucero). I love that shit. If you do too then Peter Searcy’s work here will appeal to you. He will make you feel angry and loved.

This album is pretty straightforward verse-chorus-verse structures but it does have accents that hint at the Slint to come. 'Choose Your Poison' has Sonic Youth-ish intro that evolves into a combo of pop-punk and metal riffing. There are vocals that are strong enough to carry the song if it needed it. It doesn’t; the band is more than capable. 'Short Straw Wins' continues to go in that direction. The timing loosens up enough for the band to spread out. This is not post-rock but you can hear the wheels churning in the minds of these guys. 'Kick the Cat' goes hardcore with fast yet nuanced drums backing up the speedy guitar. This song also has the first appearance of the spoken vocals by McMahan that you heard on Spiderland. 'Too Close to the Fire' reminds me of the Misfits somehow and 'Slake Train Coming' goes classic punk complete with a punk-anthem chorus shouted/sung in unison. The closer is a cover: 'Tape from California', the title track from Phil Ochs’ 1968 album proving these kids are smarter than your average punks.

Despite how good it is, this album is a footnote. Even as much as I like it myself, I view it that way. It’s too bad that the bands these guys played in later in life were so original and great that they overshadow this band. But that’s the way it is. I love this album but I don’t listen to it regularly. It’s mostly a showcase of the raw talent behind the associated bands that came later. But if you like those bands, and you like melody too then Squirrel Bait is for you. Sometimes you will just want to give Slint the middle finger for being so boldly groundbreaking and cerebral. When that happens you can find peace by listening to Skag Heaven while you sit on the porch drinking lemonade.

8.5/10

Last edited by Engine; 08-12-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: better Daughtry pic
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote