Music Banter - View Single Post - the Dischord Records thread
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Default a post dedicated to..

Ian Svenonius

As far as Dischord goes - all there is to talk about is Nation Of Ulysses and The Make Up. So if anyone wants to talk about those bands then go for it. I don't know a hell of a lot about NoU but I know the Plays Pretty For Baby album pretty well and I like it - if anybody wants to convince me to listen to their other albums I'm definitely up for it. I think I like The Make Up even more but I also haven't paid much attention to them. Same goes for his later band, Weird War. From what I've heard I think I like that band most of all 3 but, again, it's a band I haven't spent much (enough) time listening to.

So why bring up Ian S? First of all it's because he is an interesting person who is an avowed communist and has written a book about it:

But as music goes - one huge contribution that he has made is his online TV show, Soft Focus, in which he interviews musicians such as Ian MacKaye, Henry Rollins, Will Oldham, Cat Power and many other favorites. He also goes to the UK to interview Kevin Shields, Shaun Ryder, and Graham Coxon among others. O yeah, and he plays the role of a supremely pretentious intellectual as he interviews his guests. Good stuff.

Engine is offline   Reply With Quote