Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Phylogeny Project : Collecting Suggestions for Traits!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Just for fun, I want to do the same for music. Music evolves over time much the same way as species do and if you can identify the characters that have changed over time, making such a tree for bands instead of whales is perfectly possible. I want to make a big phylogenetic tree showing different bands and see how they relate to eachother. Will metal form a monophyletic group? Is King Crimson really ancestral to Nirvana?
I think it is very difficult to make a cladogram of Rock bands because almost every band claims more then one band as an influence.

Over-dubbing (esp. guitar and vocals)
Les Paul & Mary Ford. (yes)
early Elvis Presley (no)
Basicly straight live recording of a band in a studio versus heavily processed studio sound, something hard to reporduce live.

NB I'm not saying Elvis is better then other artist, I'm using him as an example of a simple live perfomance in studio that is recorded. It was Elvis acoustic guitar, Scotty Moore on electric guitar and Bill Black on stand-up bass.

I wouldn't consider King Crimson ancestral to Nirvana, unless you are thinking of something else. I heard Grunge discribes a Rock band influence by Punk, (not the other way around). Punk was diametricly opposed to Prog at least in the 70's. When combine your bands and you look at them of complex compositions and recording versus simple compositions and recording; King Crimson would be closer to Les Paul, Nirvana would be closer to early Elvis.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote