Music Banter - View Single Post - Dissonance Vs. Consonance
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

what carblord said.
i generally fall somewhere in between, leaning towards the unique and unanticipated. it depends on mood, although i'd have to admit out-and-out dissonance has not been on my playlist for quite a while. I couldn't take most Sun Ra right now for example... Yoko Ono and Stravinsky yes, but not the parping and farting of a big band improvising in their sleep

there are levels of dissonance, the guitarist at the top of this page is nice dissonance to my ears, it was calculated and not going out of it's way to be confrontational... which one desires sometimes, either to prove you are open minded or to confound the moronic drivel you put up with 24/7 in the everyday world.

But there is plenty of room for innovation within 'consonance' and melody as many a great songwriter has proved, so that just pop me back on the fence with this question really.

another Dissonant - Frank Zappa is one of the most admiredead musicians on this forum and i can't think of a single tune of his that doesn't clash with expectations (except the doo-wop album)...

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote