Music Banter - View Single Post - Dissonance Vs. Consonance
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
There's really no way to truly tell, to some people what might seem dissonant can seem quite lovely to another person. The definitions I posted just came out of my Music Appreciation book along with the two examples I posted. Generally though if the tones create a feeling of unease and tension it's safe to call them dissonant.
From what I know, and which is known by many others, that there are scales. When following a scale of consonant notes and than we hear a note from out of the scale, our ear feels a sort of discomfort. Even in classical music there was "forbidden notes" that even if made on purpose will be considered as false notes. (Always the Avant-guards disobeyed these whole rules, until some felt acceptable)

Now after listening to many dissonant albums, I don't notice the dissonance anymore. I remember feeling some parts in songs as "wrong" but now I forgot what parts I am talking about. But when hearing consonant album I can always predict how the song goes. Sometimes I don't get bothered by it, the melody would be great (that's enough for me) , but in other times it just gets ridiculous.

Sorry couldn't think of any examples... maybe later.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote