Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Phylogeny Project : Collecting Suggestions for Traits!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Yeah, I think they used a lot more than we would really need Are you still interested in suggestions for traits that would actually work for this project (a smaller list)? I think it would be useful to have:

Samples - Does the artist use samples? (ex. DJ Shadow, MF Doom) I'd say put this in addition to the one for electronica, because samples are very important in rap and grouping it in with electronica would skip a lot of artists that use them. If you don't want to include every band that ever uses a sample, you could change it to something like extensive sampling I suppose.

I'm not sure how to phrase this one; perhaps nostalgic? Trying to think of a trait that would work for the post-genres; post rock and post metal have a very unique feel to them that isn't really present in a lot of other music.

Perhaps you could also add a trait for horns? They get a fair amount of use these days, personally I think it would be reasonable to add a separate section outside of the Untraditional Rock Instrumentation.

Just a few suggestions, feel free to use them or change them or not.

EDIT: I didn't write them up in your format because I wasn't really sure what to call them... I can do it if you want if you decide to use them.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote