Music Banter - View Single Post - Classical music lyrics
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Great post on "Sheep May Safely Graze", Erica! Although I'm hardly educated on classical music and its lyrics, "Sheep" is my favorite classical piece. And you're right: it is almost like a genteel folk protest song. Never thought of it that way before. I'm usually carried off to bucolic dreamscapes when I listen to this composition. Many thanks for the link to that great classical music portal.

P.S.: Underwear = "Air On the G String"? Ha!
Ha ha, Liz! That was a very funny joke! That made me laugh. I will never listen to "Air on the G String" without images of thongs in my mind now, thanks to you .

I wish "Air on the G String" had vocals...but it is such a lovely piece that now I am even more inspired and determined to look through Bach's many, many contatas and other classical works of his era to find something funny and peculiar in the lyrics. Surely the lyricists must have had quite a bit of humor in themselves as people...I just wonder if their humor got out through the lyrics as well as the music itself, which can be quite playful. People usually think of classical music as serious, when it isn't necessarily serious at all...although "Air on the G String" does sound like it is supposed to be beautiful and moving rather than playful! It is hard to imagine it as a thong song. Goodness...I just listened to the orchestral version again (below) and now I feel seriously contemplative again...his music really does sound almost divine.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote