Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #121 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

SONG: Sunny Afternoon
ARTIST: The Kinks
ALBUM: Face To Face

What a jammin' little tune. An excellent classic from 1966. This song is effortlessly cool and humorous. It just oozes rebellious attitude. The lyrics for this song are written by Ray Davies as are the rest of the songs on the album. They are really quite clever. I just can't help but enjoy listening to the poor misfortunes of the terribly pampered narrator. As he watches his life of leisure and luxury fall down all around him, he just sits back, relaxes, and enjoys his sunny afternoon. Might as well worry about the tax collectors and big fat girlfriend some other time. You can easily picture the scene as the song goes along.

That beginning guitar beat sets off the rather grim tone of the song. As soon as Ray Davies comes in with the vocals it immediately gives away the time period. Something about his voice sounds so vintage- it may be because of the recording quality at the time- but anyway, I love it. I would love to have it in LP form to excentuate that vintage quality. The rhythm is so infectious, the way his vocals bounce along and intertwine with the steady guitar beat. Wonderful song from beginning to end. I usually listen to it more than once.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote