Music Banter - View Single Post - The Musicbanter 2009 Awards - Voting Round, yarr!!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
The shortened version if you please. So the road traversed is full of potholes and pit falls that is all that matters? What if there is a portaloo at the top of the mountain? it's still full of crap and a wasted journey. Whilst I agree that background info is interesting and something I like to delve into, if the end product is poop then it doesn't matter how you get there. It's still poop.

It's equivalent to saying that you like to see how a chef makes the dish but you are not really bothered how it tastes at the end of it.

Some of the greatest songs of all time were created in five minutes flat.
Just like with a vote for MusicBanter awards, I find the process more interesting than the result, which does not mean that the result isn't interesting.

The road traversed as well as the final goal (the song) matter to me, but I am more interested in the road traversed. I realize art is subjective and that a portaloo at the top of a mountain may be a stinking cesspool or a marvelous achievement of human sanitation ingenuity depending on a person's perspective. I do not see art as either poop or gold, although I have preferences. For example, I generally dislike jazz.

I am not so interested in "background" information about a song as the actual process by which a person created it. Beyond what triggered the idea/emotion of the song--did she start with a fragment of the lyrics? When did the tune get involved? What instrument was layered in next? Similar to what NumberNineDream said about E.T. and her own work.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"