Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
For the sake of discussion, I'll make an argument of why some music was better back then. Making it up as I go along ..

Music back in the late 60s and 70s (which I like) was not as derivative as it is now. Although the industry goes far back, music as something that really spoke to young people and gained the sort of status it has in our lives didn't really happen on super-large scale until the 60s. I regard the end of that decade and the early 70s to be sort of like a cambrian explosion of different styles. Music freed people in a way that had never been done before and the labels signed on all sorts of strange groups. They did oh so much cool stuff and that newfound passion found it's way into the recordings. You can find a way to get distortion on your hammond organ and play it like it was an electric guitar today too, but it's just not the cool and ballsy move it was back then when noone had done it before.
is it really the music that got big? or the continual decrease in costs involved in recording and broadcasting the music that made it easier to spread around?

is it really the music that 'freed' people in the 60s? or the fact that most of their families had been broken / were recovering from the effects of that big war that ended at the end of the 40s. what was it called again? the one with Hitler. the patriarchal authority figure was no longer such a dominant effect on family and in turn society 'freeing' the kids to do whatever they wanted and to point their dirty fingers to 'the man' when they didn't want to have to get jobs after high school.

was it really a ballsy move to fuzz out a piano? or just a screw up by some burnout who connected the cables incorrectly? John Lennon gets credited for creating the 'backwards' guitar solo, he credits weed for being so wasted he put the tape in wrong prior to playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote