Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #642 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace87 View Post
i don't think that is the case. i really doubt memturbo is the issue here. but i haven't ever gotten a "out of memory" error(never heard of such an error, i would think it would just use the pagefile). and i don't know of what program i would run to max out my memory, do you? i did some googling a while back and this is a problem that other W7 users have had. some program is messed up and keeps taking more ram. plus, i have the pirated version of memturbo so i doubt it even more. i actually like the program a lot. good to keep track of, especially with only 4gb running w7.
1. Your pagefile is limited, and it is not a replacement for RAM. Programs use it regardless of whether your RAM is maxed out or not, but can only use it for stuff that doesn't need to be accessed quickly. Hard-drive storage is insanely slower than RAM storage. It's why programs run from your RAM. If you are actually out of space in your RAM, you will know it. Being out of RAM can be thought of as pouring water into a bottle and when it's full, it can no longer contain any water.
If the programs that are running on your computer are using all your RAM... you will absolutely not be able to open a new program. You would get an error.

2. You don't know you have a problem until you actually have a problem. If I were you, I would let it run until you have a problem. When you have a problem, that's when you should worry.
But for the sake of wanting to figure out why it seems your RAM is consistently being filled up by some unknown program leaking code into it or something, Try uninstalling the ram program you've installed and monitoring your RAM usage from the task manager. If it STILL shows the same thing, you might want to do the obvious first and scan for viruses and spyware, then take it from there.

3. The reason you would want to uninstall the ram program you have, or at LEAST not run it while you're monitoring your ram usage is because all deviousness aside, it could be the very program causing the RAM leak. Best to start there... as I'm assuming you never had any issues until you noticed the "problem" after you installed the program, correct? Or...
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote