Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #646 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Huh... my bosses husband has the same computer as me and is far less computer literate yet he's running a duel monitor pretty well. He might of had his son fix it without him really knowing what his son was doing... Oh well I need to make a few minor upgrades to this piece of junk anyways. Thanks for the quick reply.
It's not a Dell by any chance, is it? The vast majority of splitters are restricted to duplicating a signal; i.e. they can clone the first display, but not extend it. However, I've heard that there are some proprietary Dell splitters that can actually extend the first display. And there are products like this which do a similar sort of thing for other videocards as well. I wouldn't call them splitters though.

As for the memory problem... I see 2 possible explanations. The first is that you have some poorly written program which is leaking memory (i.e. being allocated memory but never releasing it) - Firefox used to be notorious for this. But I seriously seriously doubt it could account for that much memory unless you're running your system for days at a time without restart. The second, more likely explanation is that you have some malware which is intentionally hogging memory.

And some programs insist on using the page file, even if your system hasn't allocated all of the RAM available. I'd try the program Freebase mentioned to figure out which process is the culprit.

EDIT: You say you do run your system for days at a time?