Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog & Psychedelic Rock Recommendations Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict

Nice! Thanks, Freebase! Don't we already have a thread dedicated to Prog Rock, though?

You guys already know what I'm going to suggest. I've been all over psychedelic rock lately. Sure, I love Pink Floyd and King Crimson, but I've been sucked into the more up-to-date stuff (well, with the exception of a couple of the bands I'm about to talk about).

First off, Can! They are a 60s/70s rock band out of Germany. I already know many of you dig 'em. Some of there stuff is most definitely Psychedelic, but they are so experimental, their range of sound really put them under the avantgarde genre for me.

Next is Dead Meadow. I first listened to them a few years ago and never really got it until more recently. They're so ****ing heavy sometimes, I love it. Naturally, that gives a lot of their music a stoner rock feel, but it fits. If you listened to this track, I don't think you peg them as a psychedelic band until you heard the vocals. Even then, it's not as psychy as a lot of their other stuff.

And of course, you know I'm going to suggest Black Mountain, a Canadian band with a couple of other side projects that I've not dabbled into quite yet. I just grabbed their newest album, Wilderness Heart a week ago, and that was the first I'd heard of them. I really got into and started moving backwards to In the Future and was hooked. Amber Webber's voice through me off a little bit, and I almost turned the music off. I've never been into a mixture of male and female vocals before with the exception of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but that was mainly because Carla Kilhstedt is a phenomenal artist. As I delved deeper into the album, I became very impressed to how well the vocals synchronized.

The sound on my computer just screwed up, so here's a link:
Black Mountain - In the Future
333 is offline   Reply With Quote