Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: What religion do you follow?
Christianity 38 20.43%
Buddhism 3 1.61%
Hinduism 1 0.54%
Islam 2 1.08%
Judaism 4 2.15%
Wiccanism 1 0.54%
Other established religion (feel free to post about it) 6 3.23%
Self-defined 25 13.44%
Don't follow any religion & don't believe in deities (atheist) 67 36.02%
Not Sure, undecided, don't know or don't care 39 20.97%
Sikhism 0 0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
AM NO FEART.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,330
Send a message via AIM to FETCHER.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Raised Christian. Went to catholic schools. Went to church every Sunday with my mother. Was even an altar boy when i was in primary school (but then again so were 3 others in my class, im starting to wonder if it was actually voluntary!) and i would have claimed this to be my religion until i was 14 years old. I even got confirmed.

I can't really explain it but it was like one day i woke up and realised what a complete load of shit it all really was, told my mother i wasnt going to church anymore and now i believe in nothing.
All of that happend to my mum. My gran was a strict catholic and couldn't really see past her religion. God help you if you said godsake or jesus christ infront of her. You would be a dead man walkin'.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,908
Default

My mothers certainly not like that. She doesnt like swearing but she's not too over the top about it. I could easily use those words infront of her and a few more, but theres a line she doesnt like people to cross. A lot of older folks though class certain words as swearing that we wouldnt think twice about using now.

She definitely wishes i didnt stop going to church with her, though. She probably still wishes that. I just couldn't possibly go to church once i started thinking the way i do now and to be honest why would anyone want me there if im inwardly scoffing at everything im hearing? Trying to explain that as a 14 year old proved more difficult than i thought it would.
__________________

Last.FM | The Sludgelord
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Agnostic. Though I think having a "self-defined" religion might be interesting
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
AM NO FEART.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,330
Send a message via AIM to FETCHER.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
My mothers certainly not like that. She doesnt like swearing but she's not too over the top about it. I could easily use those words infront of her and a few more, but theres a line she doesnt like people to cross. A lot of older folks though class certain words as swearing that we wouldnt think twice about using now.
nawww. my gran, not my mother my mum was the same as you, realised it was a load of shit. only time ive been to chapel is when my gran took me, if she was babysitting me. it was boring, stupid, and made me feel like a total reject when i never went up for the drink & eating that thing. all because i was brought up with no religion.w
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,908
Default

Heh i know you meant your gran, i was just saying that even though i said my mam took me to church she was never quite like that.

What i hate even more is people who used to go to church when i did, and probably still do now, asking me WHY i dont go anymore? If that was it, that one simple question then i wouldnt have issue with it. I mean, that would just be curiosity wouldnt it?

But no, first of all try skipping around that subject and avoiding telling them the REAL reason you stopped going. They won't have it, they won't let it go, they will keep pushing you and interrogating you to get you to say it when in actuality they know fine well what the reason is anyway, they just want to act shocked or appaled and try to present themselves as the bigger person because they go to church and therefore arent going to hell.

And if i didnt skip around it and told them outright it would be even worse.

I honestly think all Christians want everyone to go to hell bar themselves. They all seem to talk about so enthusiastically.
__________________

Last.FM | The Sludgelord
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk
 
NumberNineDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The land of the largest wine glass (aka Lebanon)
Posts: 2,183
Default

Not Atheist, more "don't really care".

Cause Atheists [not agnostic atheists] seem sometimes like some fundamentalists defending their ideology. It's a definite "No God", and because you say otherwise you're wrong.

I more don't care if there is or not a god. Like if God himself told me that the right religion was Christianity I still won't care to go to church.
__________________
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,577
Send a message via MSN to NSW
Default

I'm unsure of what to vote for here. Until recently (the last couple years or so) I've considered myself a Christian. I’ve began to rethink my belief system though, when I realized that my sole basis for following religion was fear. Not the “fear based in love” that the Bible says we should have, but actual fear of incurring wrath, not only from God (whose existence is also in question), but also from my family and friends. Basically, it’s fear based on blind submission. I came to the realization that I’m tired of being afraid all the time, of always feeling like I’m doing something wrong even when I’m doing nothing wrong. Sooo…I guess what I’m saying is that I’m unsure if God exists. And if he does, I’m unsure about how much I care. So what does that fall under?
__________________
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato



NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
I more don't care if there is or not a god. Like if God himself told me that the right religion was Christianity I still won't care to go to church.
What if God told you you'd go to hell for not actively worshipping him/her?

I didn't state where my place is in the statistics, but of course I'm an atheist. I never had a religious upbringing and having to deal with it (religious teachers, organisations, going to church) has mostly been a pain in the arse which is sad because while I'm not religious I often find religion very interesting.

edit :

For you who are generally uncertain, I'll add a "don't know" option
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk
 
NumberNineDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The land of the largest wine glass (aka Lebanon)
Posts: 2,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
What if God told you you'd go to hell for not actively worshipping him/her?
He'll just have to suck it. No worships for me thanks.

***Heaven is overrated
__________________
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
BD9
 
wolverinewolfweiselpigeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,973
Default

I lived with my grandparents for the better part of my first six years and my grandma's a hardcore Mormon, so that was my first experience with religion. I would go to church with her on sundays but being so young it was more of a social event than anything (plus I got really good at sneaking extra pieces of bread from the "body of christ" dish). I was never allowed to ask questions I had about the bible, God, or anything to do with questioning the church, and even then I thought this was strange.

But to get away from ranting more about Mormonism, as I grew older I still considered myself a Christian because, like nonsubmissivewife said, my sole basis for following religion was fear. Not until the last couple of years did I allow myself to really question my beliefs. One day I just kind of realized that I don't believe in god. I don't believe in heaven and hell, and I definitely don't believe that "truth is determined by our feelings" (that's a fundamental Mormon belief for those of you who didn't know).

To summarize, I am an atheist.
wolverinewolfweiselpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2016 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.