Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Killed Laura Palmer
 
ThePhanastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 1,665
Default

I think it completely has to do with the situation. I'm not going to say that (to cite an earlier example) I'm going to touch wet paint just to contradict a sign warning against touching the wet paint; I know what the outcome's going to be. Either the paint has dried, or I'm going to get paint on my fingertip. There'd be no point to contradict the sign.

If someone tells me not to do something / to do something, there are times I'm inclined to do the opposite of what they tell me. It's not really for rebellion. The way I see it, they have their reasons for wanting me / not wanting me to do something. That's fine. If it's something that doesn't appeal to me or doesn't fit what I would like to do to achieve my own personal desired outcome, I'll generally do the opposite. It's not even so much to challenge them; I just figure that if it's not something life threatening or something to me or anyone else, then I can make my own judgment on the matter and go about doing it the way I would have done without their input.

Like, if someone tells me, "Don't spend all of your money this weekend," there's a good chance that I'll still do it. The reason being that it's my money, doesn't affect the person who's telling me not to spend it in any way, and is ultimately my call. If I know that I could safely spend all of my money in a weekend without any negative effects to me or others in the future, you can bet like hell I'm going to do it.

If someone's offering me constructive criticism or anything like that, though, I really do listen and take everything they say into consideration. If it's merely a condemnation of something I'd like to do, I don't really listen so much.
__________________

I am, in a manner of speaking, as a matter of fact, the accidental illusion.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 8,524
Send a message via Skype™ to djchameleon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't know about that. I swear my cat does things specifically because she knows she's not supposed to.
your cat does those things because her learning brain goes up to the equivalent of a 2-3 yo human child. if you tell a 2 yo kid not to do something they are not supposed to do , they will do it regardless of what you say.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.


djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli-oop View Post
Is it natural for humans? i wouldn't say it's natural...but humans seem to be the only ones who do go against the warning. Maybe it's because we have a different intelligence than other species. A rationality that leads to curiosity and rebellious opinion.
You certainly don't see antelope signaling to it's herd "hey there's a pride of lions around the corner, DON'T GO THERE" and his buddy antelope says "aw screw that, I'm going to check it out".
....thats funny..I would like to see that on discovery channel sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So if you see this:



are you compelled to take a sip?
No..nobody is gonna do that I dont think. Nobody of sound mind anyway
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wild Green Fiendy Liquid
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
of course not as I stated in one of my earlier responses, if it's something that's detrimental to my health, of course I won't do it.
It meant that as more of a joke/rhetorical question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
your cat does those things because her learning brain goes up to the equivalent of a 2-3 yo human child. if you tell a 2 yo kid not to do something they are not supposed to do , they will do it regardless of what you say.
No, I think it's more than that. It's not like she just does whatever she does regardless of my reaction, she does certain things because of my reaction.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wild Green Fiendy Liquid
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
No..nobody is gonna do that I dont think. Nobody of sound mind anyway
I would assume the same thing about a wet paint sign but apparently, as I'm learning from this thread, there are still people who touch the paint.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 8,524
Send a message via Skype™ to djchameleon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
No, I think it's more than that. It's not like she just does whatever she does regardless of my reaction, she does certain things because of my reaction.
yes, she is spiteful just like a little kid is. That's basically what I was trying to say, I may have worded it weirdly.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.


djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wild Green Fiendy Liquid
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
yes, she is spiteful just like a little kid is. That's basically what I was trying to say, I may have worded it weirdly.
So how is that different from people who deliberately do things they've been told not to do just because they don't like being told "no"?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
yes, she is spiteful just like a little kid is. That's basically what I was trying to say, I may have worded it weirdly.

Spite is a quality people of all different ages seem to have. Not just a specific age group in my experience. Most adults are rather fond of this charateristic.
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wild Green Fiendy Liquid
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
Spite is a quality people of all different ages seem to have. Not just a specific age group in my experience. Most adults are rather fond of this charateristic.
Not just people either.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Groupie
 
alli-oop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: vancouver, bc
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't know about that. I swear my cat does things specifically because she knows she's not supposed to.
true I specifically told Penelope NOT to touch the curtains in here. Now they are full of torn holes. As if she can't understand English or something. She's also fluent in German. MeŲwz
alli-oop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.