Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Editors Pick
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
99. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982)

Unfortunately the majority of people I know associate the Boss with the swaggering 80s-ness of Born In the USA (I'll admit it's how I once thought of the bloke), often leading to his perfectly good earlier works getting overlooked. Obviously, this falls into that category. Even for someone like me (no huge Springsteen fan), it's hard to see this as anything but one of the best lo-fi folk albums of all-time.
The best bits: Atlantic City, Mansion On the Hill, Johnny 99
Amazing album. Solid from beginning to end. I love the fact that you can really hear the Suicide influence on the song "State Trooper", to me it seems so out of left field, I love it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Send a message via AIM to lucifer_sam
Default

Holy shit I'm digging the Ohio Players album. This is the best funk I've heard since One Nation. Awesome pick.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Lists, lists and lists! I'll slowly catch up with this since I'm so damn busy atm. Think I'll get that Triffids release first...been in my 'listen to' list for ages.
Expect a PM soonish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Amazing album. Solid from beginning to end. I love the fact that you can really hear the Suicide influence on the song "State Trooper", to me it seems so out of left field, I love it.
It's a terrific album for sure, the one I keep getting back to of all his albums I have. Born To Run was a near-miss when it came to this list, so if anyone doesn't have that already it's well-worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Holy shit I'm digging the Ohio Players album. This is the best funk I've heard since One Nation. Awesome pick.
Glad you're enjoying it sir The album Jackhammer mentioned, Honey, is well worth checking out too. Not only has it got the tune which gave the Fopp chain of CD stores its name, it's also got the one which the Chili Peppers ripped off for Rollercoaster Of Love.

Turns out I've got a full schedule from this afternoon onwards, so the next entry (and my belated journal update) will have to wait 'til tomorrow.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Holy shit I'm digging the Ohio Players album. This is the best funk I've heard since One Nation. Awesome pick.
You still have to hear Cosmic Truth the album by Undisputed Truth yet! That is pure win.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
You still have to hear Cosmic Truth the album by Undisputed Truth yet! That is pure win.
That's another one I've yet hear. I've definitely heard the name somewhere though.

Anyway, on with das thread...

92. The Music - The Music (2002)

Despite the fact they're from sunny old Leeds, the Music rode the crest of the wave of NME hype to bring the finest elements of the Madchester scene to a new generation of music-lovers, that generation being my one. Consequently we're given an absolute gem of the whole Happy Mondays-esque dance/rock hybrid-thing. The fact the band were completely baked throughout the recording sessions shows as well, especially during the album's quieter, more spaced-out moments like the aptly named Too High. One of the albums of the decade from one of the bands of the decade. While being nothing truly original, this album was a good few years ahead of its time, seeing as the god-awful 'nu-rave' movement came about much later.
The best bits: Take the Long Road and Walk It, Float, Getaway

91. Alternative TV - The Image Has Cracked (1978)

Here's a short story for you. Once upon a time there was a bank clerk called Mark Perry. He heard the Ramones' debut album one day and decided his job was very very boring, so he did two things. One of them was found the punk fanzine Sniffin' Glue. The other was start a band and release this as his debut. Basically, if you're looking for a snapshot of British punk at its finest then, barring the usual suspects, this is the album for you. It opens with a nine minute live performance which captures the intensity of first wave British punk perfectly. Half of the album comes from the same gig, the other half are short, sharp and spiky rockers. Definitely one of the classic Brit punk albums this, and totally essential.
The best bits: Alternatives, Action Time Vision, Splitting In Two

90. The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Hörse Of the Dög (2002)

One thing you'll probably notice as this list continues is there's not so much of the heavy stuff in here. You'll find the odd example though, this hybrid of psychobilly and hardcore punk being one of them. Violent, noisy, raucous, hyper; have a listen and judge for yourself. Another one of my picks for album of the decade.
The best bits: Celebrate Your Mother, Whack Of Shit, Charge the Guns

89. Everything But the Girl - Temperamental (1999)

One of a few albums on this list which I have to thank MB (more precisely, Jackhammer) for introducing me to. I'm a bit of a fan of chilled electronica, but when I came here I only had a few Thievery Corporation albums to make up for it. Temperamental is a wonderful album which manages to chill you out and keep your attention with some terrific rhythms at the same time. Additionally, the Future Of the Future is probably one of my favourite tunes of all time. If the album didn't lull a teeny bit in the middle, it'd be much much higher in this list.
The best bits: Five Fathoms, Hatfield 1980, the Future Of the Future

Last edited by Bulldog; 02-12-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,299
Default

I have 'The Royal Society' from Eighties Matchbox and it's great. I haven't heard that album though. Great choice on EBTG. The only lulls I personally find are the two Drum & Bass-esque tracks which are uneccessary. Love that album to bits though.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I have 'The Royal Society' from Eighties Matchbox and it's great. I haven't heard that album though. Great choice on EBTG. The only lulls I personally find are the two Drum & Bass-esque tracks which are uneccessary. Love that album to bits though.
The 80s Matchbox debut's definitely worth a spin. The Royal Society's a great album, but the debut came about just as I was properly getting into good music, so it's got more sentimental value for me. If you want a link I'd be happy to supply you with one when I can.

I'll be sorting out the first mixtape for albums 100-91 soon. I'll post the link here by the end of the day.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
daddy don't
 
Molecules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the Wastes
Posts: 2,576
Send a message via MSN to Molecules
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post

90. The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Hörse Of the Dög (2002)

One thing you'll probably notice as this list continues is there's not so much of the heavy stuff in here. You'll find the odd example though, this hybrid of psychobilly and hardcore punk being one of them. Violent, noisy, raucous, hyper; have a listen and judge for yourself. Another one of my picks for album of the decade.
The best bits: Celebrate Your Mother, Whack Of Shit, Charge the Guns
best Buddhist psychosis rockers. Charge the Guns is one of my favourites too - best anti-war song ever. One of the picks for album of the decade though? YOURE NOT WRONG man. we need a new album from them to annihilate all the shit. they pulverize everyone else i've ever seen live aswell

spose alternative tv are alright too
__________________

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,908
Default

I must admit the thought of doing a Top 100 interests me but I'm always blown away by members who do this. Its very ambitious. I'm not sure I'd have it in me. Respect.

Oh and...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
92. The Music - The Music (2002)

Despite the fact they're from sunny old Leeds, the Music rode the crest of the wave of NME hype to bring the finest elements of the Madchester scene to a new generation of music-lovers, that generation being my one. Consequently we're given an absolute gem of the whole Happy Mondays-esque dance/rock hybrid-thing. The fact the band were completely baked throughout the recording sessions shows as well, especially during the album's quieter, more spaced-out moments like the aptly named Too High. One of the albums of the decade from one of the bands of the decade. While being nothing truly original, this album was a good few years ahead of its time, seeing as the god-awful 'nu-rave' movement came about much later.
The best bits: Take the Long Road and Walk It, Float, Getaway


90. The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Hörse Of the Dög (2002)

One thing you'll probably notice as this list continues is there's not so much of the heavy stuff in here. You'll find the odd example though, this hybrid of psychobilly and hardcore punk being one of them. Violent, noisy, raucous, hyper; have a listen and judge for yourself. Another one of my picks for album of the decade.
The best bits: Celebrate Your Mother, Whack Of Shit, Charge the Guns
Even more respect. I havent heard the Matchbox's second record yet (but I have just recently acquired it after wanting it for a long, long time so that'll be getting a spin soon) but the first one is something I love. I used to play it over and over again and take it to the occasional gathering/piss up.

And The Music? The second record is decent, the third is decent enough but rather disappointing. The debut however would be on my list but even further towards the top. Im staring at a poster of the debut's album cover as I type this with a gig ticket stuck to the bottom right hand corner of it. Great record, and you are right in that you can tell the band were destroyed making it, the opening track is a complete haze and really punches you in the face. You are correct when you say its nothing original, if you cant hear the Led Zep influence in it then I'd question your hearing but i love it and the gig I went to in promotion of this record remains one of the very best gigs I've ever seen. I don't think vocals that werent screamed have ever actually hurt my ears so much before.

*Round of applause*
__________________

Last.FM | The Sludgelord
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
best Buddhist psychosis rockers. Charge the Guns is one of my favourites too - best anti-war song ever. One of the picks for album of the decade though? YOURE NOT WRONG man. we need a new album from them to annihilate all the shit. they pulverize everyone else i've ever seen live aswell

spose alternative tv are alright too
Yeah, where was it you saw them, Glasto wasn't it? Lucky bastard...

Dunno about everyone here, but I've certainly got high hopes for the new album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
And The Music? The second record is decent, the third is decent enough but rather disappointing. The debut however would be on my list but even further towards the top. Im staring at a poster of the debut's album cover as I type this with a gig ticket stuck to the bottom right hand corner of it. Great record, and you are right in that you can tell the band were destroyed making it, the opening track is a complete haze and really punches you in the face. You are correct when you say its nothing original, if you cant hear the Led Zep influence in it then I'd question your hearing but i love it and the gig I went to in promotion of this record remains one of the very best gigs I've ever seen. I don't think vocals that werent screamed have ever actually hurt my ears so much before.

*Round of applause*
One of my flatmates used to work at the Astoria. Not only has he met Paul Weller and Tracey Thorn, but he's also seen the Music there. As you can imagine, I'm pretty damn jealous of him. As for this album, you're spot on, it's a superb piece of work. Bear in mind though that I could only manage to put the top 30 in order of preference - the other 70 are just a randomised gathering of the albums I wouldn't quite put there. As for the rest of the Music's stuff, Welcome To the North is great, the newest one hasn't quite clicked with me though. It's decent enough, as you say, but doesn't quite stand up with the rest of their work.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback folks. As for the rest of the thread, the first mixtape is now here;

100-91.rar
1. Alternative TV - Alternatives
2. Gomez - Whippin' Picadilly
3. Gram Parsons - We'll Sweep Out the Ashes In the Morning
4. Frank Zappa - While You Were Art II
5. Ohio Players - Jive Turkey
6. The Triffids - Tarrilup Bridge
7. The Music - Float
8. Third World - Human Marketplace
9. Souad Massi - Deb
10. Bruce Springsteen - Johnny 99


I'll get cracking on the next four list entries in a tick...
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2016 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.