Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #61 (permalink)
ANUSTART
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
The bolded sentence is pretty spot on The rest is rubbish, though. Our biology does not worry about the collective human genome and so on. That's group selection which is really an outdated idea in modern biology.
i agree with what you said after this, but i am curious as to why you think this idea is rubbish? i was not speaking of the entire human gene pool. you are quite right that applying these ideas on such a large scale would have no bearing, but what i said certainly applies to small groups. you can see what i was saying in action with certain immunities that have been selected for in small ethnic groups. if both men and women wanted sex just as much, these immunities would have taken much longer to come about, if they ever did.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #62 (permalink)
Beet Farming Guru
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Why are guys so disrespectful to women these days? The last two guys I've met who've been interested in me, turn out days later suggesting we have sex. Nothihng else. No getting to know each other first, no giving it a week, and NO regarding me as a person rather than a piece of meat with a vagina. Am I old fashioned? Do you think values are useless to have? Because I was brought up to respect myself. I am no way perfect, but this situation I keep getting into is ridicolous!
I don't think it's a matter of sex fiends having no values so much as having different values. Anyway, there are plenty of guys out there who aren't just after sex and seek some degree of companionship. But I must ask, how forward/open are you in person? Because I have a female friend who is quite uninhibited when it comes to talking about sex and manages to inject it into more conversations than most guys I know... and because of this a lot of guys think she's easy when in reality, she's after something more serious than her lecherous parlance might suggest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
In all seriousness, anytime you need to chat, I'm around. Just for all you gossip mongerers: it's not a feeble attempt at a chat up line either. Vanilla is a friend and a good one at that.
You need a posts disclaimer in your sig like rt.
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #63 (permalink)
This is what you get.
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
You can meet a good guy at a club. Not everyone there is looking to get wasted and hook up with anyone he can find. Some of us are just there to get wasted.
^This was pretty much me in my mid 20s.
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #64 (permalink)
Absent Friend
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tenemos Roads
Posts: 5,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
i agree with what you said after this, but i am curious as to why you think this idea is rubbish? i was not speaking of the entire human gene pool. you are quite right that applying these ideas on such a large scale would have no bearing, but what i said certainly applies to small groups. you can see what i was saying in action with certain immunities that have been selected for in small ethnic groups. if both men and women wanted sex just as much, these immunities would have taken much longer to come about, if they ever did.
I'm sorry if I came across as hostile. The truth is that there is a lot of biological theory behind mating strategies and some like the one I posted, although briefly summarized, is accepted as the the reason why men compete for women who act as selectors. You wrote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
If everyone wanted sex, then we would overpopulate and certain negative gene pools would never be weeded out.
This implies that we've evolved to not overpopulate and to weed out gene pools and that this explains why men are randy and women picky. All these assumptions are plain and simple wrong. Starting with the overpopulation one - under the right conditions, populations grow until they stabilize around the carrying capacity for the system. They don't stabilize because they evolve to have less sex. They stabilize around the carrying capacity because of a lack of food, diseases, stress and other things that make it harder to live in a big population. If you raise the carrying capacity of the system or lower the population size (without crashing it), the population resumes growth. It's a basic principle in ecology. Also, if you know about the theory of selfishness, you'll understand that choosing not to have sex for the good of the population is a strategy that would be exploited in nature. Basically, if you choose to not preserve your genes for the future, you won't have any kids to inherit your altruistic strategy. Generally speaking, others who don't give a rats ass about it will benefit from your abstinence from sex. It would not be an evolutionary stable strategy and would be outcompeted.

About the negative genes in the population, we care about bad genes, but for selfish reasons. Men and women are selective about their partners. Bad genes make people less attractive; we think they look ugly, smell bad, they have poor social skills - and obviously people who are really sick is not someone you'd want to have sex with.

Simply put, you want to find the partner whose genes best ensure the survival and fitness of your own genes in the future - someone nice and fit. You want to avoid the ones whose genes will lower survival and fitness for the future. However, you don't care if some other dude has kids with the people you find unattractive. If you were to wipe out negative genes from your population, then you would have to care.

An important point is evolutionary strategies are selfish while what you wrote sounds like altruistic strategies. When you then wrote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga
As far as the facts go, however, this is just biological fact.
.. Well, the sentence above was also a motivator!
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Imperfectly Perfect
 
Kevorkian Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post



I was asking the forum their opinion and I've had some brillant feedback, why would this potentially give me or another girl a bad rap? One thread doesn't define me either, I'm pretty sure most people here have opinions of me by now.

I said this has nothing to do with you personally, because I like you fine. So i'm going to ignore the part when you made this like a personal attack. I personally feel that threads where women pretty much bitch about how hard it is to be a women and date guys (in a majority male forum) is a very typical move by women and only contributes in the way that one gets attention that they are a female.

I feel like the topic is pretty much "what is wrong with me and guys" which is the most ****ing subjective thing ever, because the only way that someone would know what is wrong with you and guys would be to ****ing know how you actually interact, not some internetized version of your perspective of the whole situation.


I just feel like I see this thread on every forum ever, always started by some girl, always responded to by a bunch of guys (often with very bigoted responses, because this is the internet where people can say **** they normally never would), and it just keeps guys from seeing girls as intelligent, productive posters in forums. Just kinda attention whores.


Again, I am not saying I think you are an attention whore or there is anything wrong with your personality. Because I do not believe there is, I just am of the opinion that this type of thread is why girls have such a bad rep on the internet. period.
__________________
"it is only through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect that a certain type of perfection can be attained"
Kevorkian Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #66 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
stormjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic View Post
I am not saying I think you are an attention whore.
Ok, I'll say it, you are an attention whore.
stormjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #67 (permalink)
Imperfectly Perfect
 
Kevorkian Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormjh View Post
Ok, I'll say it, you are an attention whore.
ENFP all the way :p
__________________
"it is only through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect that a certain type of perfection can be attained"
Kevorkian Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #68 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
stormjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 159
Default

Me or her?
stormjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #69 (permalink)
I'm a Princess
 
Vanilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Up In Space
Posts: 5,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic View Post
I said this has nothing to do with you personally, because I like you fine. So i'm going to ignore the part when you made this like a personal attack. I personally feel that threads where women pretty much bitch about how hard it is to be a women and date guys (in a majority male forum) is a very typical move by women and only contributes in the way that one gets attention that they are a female.

I feel like the topic is pretty much "what is wrong with me and guys" which is the most ****ing subjective thing ever, because the only way that someone would know what is wrong with you and guys would be to ****ing know how you actually interact, not some internetized version of your perspective of the whole situation.


I just feel like I see this thread on every forum ever, always started by some girl, always responded to by a bunch of guys (often with very bigoted responses, because this is the internet where people can say **** they normally never would), and it just keeps guys from seeing girls as intelligent, productive posters in forums. Just kinda attention whores.


Again, I am not saying I think you are an attention whore or there is anything wrong with your personality. Because I do not believe there is, I just am of the opinion that this type of thread is why girls have such a bad rep on the internet. period.
Fair call. I don't think my woes are that good men are hard to find, just that immature and promiscous ones are easy to find. Luckily for me I've posted intelligently in other threads eh?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
3) Every time Vanilla questions her sexuality as the result of a female user's posted picture, drink three fingers.
Trolling. Trolling never changes.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormjh View Post
Ok, I'll say it, you are an attention whore.
and you are trolling and not the first thread I have noticed you doing this in today.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.