Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Prog & Psychedelic Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who Wins? You Decide!
2112 14 63.64%
Test For Echo 3 13.64%
Clockwork Angels 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post

To Satch: do let us know what you think of CA. I really do think it's one of their better albums in recent years. You can tell they are proud of it, too...they don't typically play a large number of new songs when they go on tour with an album since they know everyone generally wants to hear their classics, but they played a good 3/4 of the album when I saw them a couple weeks ago.
Silly me, I got a hold of a FLAC copy last night and managed to shut the lid of my laptop 9/10ths of the way through an incredibly slow download. Grrrr... I'll give it a shot again today.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinnx View Post
Not really. Moving Pictures and Power Windows are my favourite albums as well. Grace Under Pressure I haven't heard yet.
Grace Under the Pressure is Outstanding, the first tour I saw Rush on.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
Grace Under the Pressure is Outstanding, the first tour I saw Rush on.
Agreed...it's a very underrated album. A lot of people prefer Signals, but I think it beats it out by just a little bit.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Agreed. 2112 has always seemed to be a bit overrated to me as well, but I remembering it being a huge album when it was released. I really like Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings, much more as far as old Rush is concerned, and my new Rush exposure sort of tapers off at around the Counterparts album, one of the 3 rush tours I've had the pleasure of catching (Presto and Roll the Bones being the other two). I thought Hold your Fire was fantastic, Jackhammer, definitely one of my favorite Rush albums.

I'm nabbing Clockwork Angels right now. I've heard enough good things about the album to merit checking it out, so I might be chiming in in a while.
Hold Your Fire was patchy for me although the track Open Secrets from the album is one of my favourite Rush tracks ever.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

As far as Clockwork Angels goes, I have to be a little bit careful about how I rate it. I think it's an amazing contemporary prog album, but I just happen to dislike most contemporary prog. I do think it's great that they've released an album that's as hard-hitting and showcasing of the resiliency of their combined and individual talents, especially at this point in their career. Alex, Geddy, and Neil are in top form, that's for certain. I just think that the song-writing, the anthemic brilliance which characterized their style seems buried beneath the bravado of their musicianship. I don't really think I can say anything bad about the album. It's just not something I'd really choose to listen to, but to see them live again would be a different story. I would jump at the chance to catch a show from this tour.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Counterparts was released in 93.
late 80s, early 90s I meant

the period after they stopped trying to be FM and started to get heavy again
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
late 80s, early 90s I meant

the period after they stopped trying to be FM and started to get heavy again
You're actually pretty right on with that, even if I don't agree with 80's Rush being an attempt at being FM (okay, maybe I'll give you Power Windows in that respect.) I really love poppy, 80's Rush. I think the fact that they are intrinsically a power trio really balance helped to maintain a balance in their sound when it came to doing more melodic upbeat material, and they were also one of the few rock bands to utilize synths in a way that wasn't positively grating. I don't really extol the virtue of much that happened in the 80's, but Rush's music seems to be an exception.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
You're actually pretty right on with that, even if I don't agree with 80's Rush being an attempt at being FM (okay, maybe I'll give you Power Windows in that respect.) I really love poppy, 80's Rush. I think the fact that they are intrinsically a power trio really balance helped to maintain a balance in their sound when it came to doing more melodic upbeat material, and they were also one of the few rock bands to utilize synths in a way that wasn't positively grating. I don't really extol the virtue of much that happened in the 80's, but Rush's music seems to be an exception.
i'm pretty much ok with any era

except in the beginning when they were a Led Zeppelin clone
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
i'm pretty much ok with any era

except in the beginning when they were a Led Zeppelin clone
Does that include Fly By Night to you? Their debut was a total ripoff but Fly By Night is pretty damn good.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Does that include Fly By Night to you? Their debut was a total ripoff but Fly By Night is pretty damn good.
didn't really like whatever i've heard from it

Caress of Steel is ok, though
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2016 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.