The Indie & Alternative Recommendation Thread - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Today's Posts
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #741 (permalink)
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
Hey there! I'm looking for music recommendations that are similar in mood to 'Chrystals' by Harp. I can't post the link yet, but it's pretty easy to find on youtube if you search that name.

Specifically, the elements that I'm looking for are the soft acoustic sound, with a slightly medieval or fantasy feel (It feels that way to me, at least). I also really like the haunting and mysterious tone, maybe a little dreamlike or surreal.

Other music I like:
Fleet Foxes
Midlake (the earlier albums)
Lord Huron

Unfortunately, none of these artists quite reach the mood I want, but it might help give you an idea of my taste?
I like Pentangle, Trees, Midwinter and Mellow Candle. Early period Genesis like Harlequin and a few tracks off of Trick of the Tale are haunting and mysterious imo. I like First Aid Kit too, a little more Country than Medieval Folk. Nick Drake is another. I don't know if they play that style of music to create that mood you are looking for.

Genesis - Harlequin

Marble Sounds - The Time to Sleep

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-09-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #742 (permalink)
mayor of spookytown

Marble Sounds! They did a lovely (though not quite passionate enough imo) cover of Kath Bloom's Come Here.

I've been revisiting Yo La Tengo, Tall Dwarfs, Phosphorescent (weird thing--their song "Song for Zula" has eerily followed me for years-- it is strange because that's the name I've been planning on legally changing mine to for several years now) and The Kills lately:

The Kills are a fairly standard indie band but I love certain songs of theirs.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #743 (permalink)
Music Addict

Two very good Belgian bands.

Balthazar

BRNS

ikvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #744 (permalink)
Music Addict

Really good song.

Also NYOP on bandcamp so I'd recommend downloading it.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 AM   #745 (permalink)
Music Addict

The Dirty Projectors' album is out and it's pretty interesting:

https://open.spotify.com/album/6HA2YKWabsGi6XWkhWoZuAР
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #746 (permalink)
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiomara View Post
Marble Sounds! They did a lovely (though not quite passionate enough imo) cover of Kath Bloom's Come Here.
Just seen this post. Thanks for sharing.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #747 (permalink)
Groupie

Default Bands with a 1950s pop/rock vibe

I'm looking for some indie bands with a 1950s pop/rock vibe to help fill out the soundtrack of an animated film I'm working on. The movie has no budget so they'd have to donate songs they already have recorded but I can pay them back with artwork and hopefully some exposure.
Anybody have any suggestions for me?!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #748 (permalink)
Groupie

Some bands I love- Midnight oil, swans, XTC, Robyn Hitchcock, Elvis Costello, sleater-Kinney, the smashing pumpkins, fleet foxes, system of a down, no doubt, brand new, Godspeed you black emperor, sigur ros, sufjan Stevens, Fiona Apple, animal collective, the English Beat, hands like houses, slint, the Orwells, and a few bands too famous to bother mentioning. Check these out if you haven't already, and any recommendations based on this list?
CalChuchesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #749 (permalink)
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I'm looking for some indie bands with a 1950s pop/rock vibe to help fill out the soundtrack of an animated film I'm working on. The movie has no budget so they'd have to donate songs they already have recorded but I can pay them back with artwork and hopefully some exposure.
Anybody have any suggestions for me?!
The Orwells maybe? Their influences extend a little past that period but you could probably stretch it
CalChuchesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #750 (permalink)
Groupie

This track just came out today. Actually a mutual friend/acquaintance of mine. First album was more straight ahead rock. This is way...cooler. Kinda Nine Inch Nails meets...I dunno. Cool video.

oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote