The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Today's Posts
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #3241 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: Shades of a Blue Orphanage
Artiste: Thin Lizzy
Genre: Hard rock, blues
Year: 1972
Label: Decca
Producer: Nick Tauber
Chronological position: Second album
Notes:
Album chart position: n/a
Singles: n/a
Lineup: Same as before, with the addition of Clodagh Simonds on keyboard, mellotron and harpsichord

Review begins:

Shades of a Blue Orphanage

Rating: Rating:
Old 03-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #3242 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: Vagabonds of the Western World
Artiste: Thin Lizzy
Genre: Hard rock, blues
Year: 1973
Label: Decca
Producer: Nick Tauber
Chronological position: Third album
Notes: The first to feature cover art by Lynott's friend Jim Fitzpatrick, who would go on to illustrate many of the band's later, better known albums.
Album chart position:
Singles: “The rocker” (also “Whiskey in the jar”, though that wasn't on the original album and was released as a separate single)
Lineup: Same as before. Also features radio DJ David "Kid" Jensen on vocals (spoken vocal only on "Hero and the Madman"), Jan Schelhaas on organ and Fiachra Trench's string arrangements on the closer.

By the time their third album was due, Decca were, understandably, getting impatient. There had been two albums from these guys and not only had there not been a hit single (or even a moderately successful one), the albums themselves had totally bombed. That all changed when during a jam session they started messing around with the arrangement of some traditional Irish songs, one of which was of course “Whiskey in the jar”, and so a legend was born. Originally due to be on the B-side of the single “Black boys on the corner”, the record company and producer, realising the potential of “Whiskey”, demanded it be on the A-side, and it became a hit. Nevertheless, the album still sold poorly, despite a single being released from it, this being “The rocker,” which would become a fan favourite. Perhaps if Decca had thought to have the hit single included on the album, instead of making it widely available to anyone with the price of a 45, the album might have sold better? Either way, this would be Lizzy's last recording for Decca, as they were unhappy with the lack of promotion their albums had received. Both were, at the time, glad to see the back of each other.

Review begins

Much more uptempo and a real rockfest to kick off, “Mama Nature said”, far from being the hippy-dippy lovey-dovey pastoral folk song the title suggests, is a blues-out boogie, getting everything rocking from the off, allowing Bell much more freedom to express himself on the guitar. Ironically, he would leave after this album. Sadly then “The hero and the madman” sounds like a parody when it begins, but falls into a decent little rock groove, funky in its way, but a long way from the quality of the opener. Ah but it does get better. Much better, mostly on the back of Bell's screaming guitar. Sweet. “Slow blues” is actually not that slow, or even bluesy really, with a kind of rolling, introductory drumbeat before it falls into the groove. It's , more again funky in places than bluesy really. Overall though I'd characterise it as a little indulgent and a lot boring.

Not boring though is “The rocker”, the single (at least, from the album) that made people sit up and take notice, and also skewed Lizzy's direction more away from folk and blues and towards hard rock and eventually heavy metal. Possibly the first time I've heard Lynott sound, I don't know, amped up, powerful? Edgy? Angry even, dangerous? Cool to hear. The title track kind of harks back to “Whiskey in the jar”, subject-wise, though of course it's a play on, well, the play. A good hard rockout to be sure with another snarly vocal from Lynott, who seems at this point to be establishing his voice, coming out from hiding behind his bass and low vocals. The “Toora-loora” thing is a little annoying, but then, what ya gonna do, huh?

Not quite sure about “Little girl in bloom”. I guess we're talking about a song to a child here, but Lynott hadn't his first child till 1978, so maybe it's a wish fulfillment? Or maybe he just felt like writing a song about a pregnant woman and the child she carries. Meh, whatever, it's a little boring again I have to say. Interesting that it uses some of the riff from their version of “Whiskey in the jar” though. “Gonna creep up on you” really utilises Lynott's bass to its growling best and has a nice sense of menace about it, kind of like a really slower and less energetic “Killer on the loose” in ways while “A song for while I'm away” has a nice sort of semi-psychedelic feel to it, sort of Beatley, slow but not so much a ballad really. Nice closer, sort of bridges the gap between the sixties and the “new” seventies. Some very nice orchestral string arrangements. Really bookends the album well with the opener, both of which I would consider the standouts on this album.

Track listing and ratings

Mama Nature said
The hero and the madman
Slow blues

The rocker
Vagabonds of the western world
Little girl in bloom
Gonna creep up on you
A song for while I'm away

Afterword:

Without question, you can see Thin Lizzy improving in leaps and bounds here, and whether the move from Decca for their next album was anything to do with their later finding fame or not, it must be pointed out that again there was no overnight success, no magic formula in changing from one label to another. Their next album, though it would contain one of the songs that would go on to become a live classic, was pretty limp and boring too, and Lynott and Lizzy must have begun to wonder if they were ever going to make it.

Rating:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #3243 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: For You
Artiste:Prince
Genre: Pop/Soul
Year: 1978
Label: Warner Bros
Producer: Prince
Chronological position: Debut album
Notes:
Album chart position: 163/138
Singles: “Soft and wet”, “Just as long as we're together”
Lineup:
Prince: Everything

Hardly the album that set the world on fire and announced a new powerhouse in town, Prince's debut album could not even improve on its initial chart placing after his death, as illustrated above (163 originally, 138 after he passed away) the first perhaps hoarse whisper of the screeching shout that was to emanate from this diminutive popstar, who would redraw the boundaries of pop, rock and soul, redefine attitudes towards sexual promiscuity, both in his lyrics and in his real life, and finally and unequivocally realise the prophecy he wrote on his million-selling Purple Rain album, “Baby I'm a star”. It's probably true to reflect that other than Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson, no black artist has ever crossed the divide - musically, racially, culturally and sexually – as did the man we came to know as Prince.

Review begins

The title track, and opener, begins with that crooning, wailing vocal that would become so associated with him, a sort of church organ going as the song develops into a gospel romp, most of it acapella (and remember, these voices were all his, and he makes them sound like a choir) but very short, more an intro to the album as the boppy, uptempo funk of “In love” takes us into the album proper. Again it's amazing that this is one man doing everything; it definitely sounds like there's a band there with him, including backing vocals, but no, it's all him. It's a very decent song, not bad at all, though of course hardly a patch on the killer hits that would just keep coming over the eighties and nineties as his fame and popularity reached its height. It's certainly very catchy though, right from the off, and leads into the first single, and the only song on the album not written solo by him, “Soft and wet”. I have to wonder though: Chris Moon? I know Prince used some odd pseudonyms in his career, Christopher being one, and I ask myself why would be collaborate with another songwriter on just one song, when this is so much his one-man show? Is this just him having fun and pretending he has a co-writer? There's some superb keyboard work here and we hear Prince using for the first time that amazing vocal range he had, from falsetto to baritone, making it seem even more as if there is more than one singer. But there isn't.

“Crazy you” is driven on a really nice lazy guitar line, reminds me of Extreme's “More than words” with its sort of hollow percussion, and a very soul seventies feel to it too. Prince's voice could go to such a falsetto that, like Jackson's, it could be mistaken for a female one, and this works well in the vocals for this song, where at times you think “that's a woman's voice”. But again it isn't. Another thing it isn't – the track, that is – is long, gone after two minutes and change, which is a pity as it seemed more an idea that never quite got the chance to flower into what it could have become. Back rocking with the EWF style of “Just as long as we're together”, the second single, neither of which did any business in the charts, and oddly, the longest track by a long way, clocking in just under six and a half minutes. I can see how easy it was to cut it down though for a single, as the full-length version is basically a remix, with a long instrumental section from about the fourth minute in. It actually doesn't sound overstretched though, which is quite a feat for a song this long on a debut album, but then again, we are talking about Prince here.

The first ballad comes in the shape of the Smokey Robinsonesque “Baby”, another early example of the kind of creative and artistic heights Prince would reach over his stunning career. This kind of reminds me of “The Beautiful ones” (I think; long time since I listened to Purple Rain through) with lovely sprinkly piano and strings synthesiser arrangements, with Prince's voice at the height of his soul crooning style, while “My love is forever”, which sounds like a ballad is in fact a midtempo funk, with again the falsetto vocal, a lot of Stevie Wonder in it I feel. Some really killer guitar there near the end. Kind of lounge music almost for the extremely laidback “So blue”, which mostly rides on acoustic guitar and some maybe fretless bass? God, could be trumpet. Probably synth though. Really nice almost stripped-down tune, like something you might hear late night in some Vegas off-the-beaten-track dive.

Amazngly, “I'm yours” then kicks right into AOR territory, rocking everything up and taking me by surprise after the really cool laidback vibe of the last few tracks, and showing that Prince was never going to be content with being labelled pop, soul, funk, or indeed anything: this was one guy who would just jump out of any box you tried to put him in and smirk “Nice try!” As he rattles off an almost metal guitar solo here, I think it's a clear message to be had: Prince has arrived.

For you
In love

Soft and wet
Crazy you
Just as long as we're together

Baby
My love is forever
So blue
I'm yours

Afterword:

What a revelation! I went into this convinced this would be a lacklustre affair (it even says it on Wiki: “a lackluster (sic) release”) but by His Purpleness it is anything but! This album is not flawless, but there's really very little I can point to about it that I don't like. The closer in particular is a teaser for just how good Prince was going to get, and I can only guess that the reason this didn't sell well on its release was that in 1979 soul and funk were still associated with disco, which many rockers hated. But then, it didn't sell well even after Prince died. What then can be the reason? Oh yeah, of course, that must be it: people are stupid.

Rating:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #3244 (permalink)
Account Disabled

His debut is really fun to listen to. Some great songs on it.

People probably wrote this off based on reviews and the reputation of his other albums.

I'd rate it about the same.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #3245 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: Prince
Artiste: Prince
Genre: R&B/Funk/Pop
Year: 1979
Chronological position: Second album
Notes:
Album chart position: 52 (US)
Singles: “I wanna be your lover”, “Why you wanna treat me so bad”, “Still waiting”, “Sexy dancer”, “Bambi”
Lineup:
Prince: Everything. Again.

Holy good fuck, Warners weren't kidding around here, were they? They wanted a hit single and they made damn sure that they ... didn't get one. But it wasn't for the lack of releasing tracks, as it looks like half the album (more, in fact: five tracks out of nine) were put out as singles. Still no hit though. Interesting that Prince recorded this in a few weeks. Warners said, “We need a better album”, he said “Just leave that with me” and less than a month later he said “There you go.” Amazing. Does it suffer from being rushed though? Was it rushed? Prince seems like the kind of guy who could walk into a studio with nothing and walk out a few weeks later with two albums' worth of material!

Review begins

We're funking off, folks (I said funking!) with the first of five singles, “I wanna be your lover”, which shows no sign, I must say, of being rushed or of him churning out anything in desperation to satisfy the suits at Warners. Again, he's doing everything, and again my mind is blown. I mean, I've heard multi-instrumentalists, but this guy was in a different league! Some serious synth going on here. More of a rock vibe then to “Why you wanna treat me so bad” (another single) with a sense of Bowie in there somewhere and some really cool bass work. The keys in this are immense and the chorus is killer. How was this not a hit? Fucking superb guitar solo at the end. This man was a music god, was he not?

“Sexy dancer” smoulders, both with funk goodness and with the almost effortless sexual energy that would characterise so many of Prince's hits; it's not too much in the way of lyrics, more a kind of raw, animal expression of lust as he pants “I want your body!” Sizzling. Of course, if that's not a girl doing the “ooh-ah”s with him then I guess Prince is indulging in the all-time number one favourite pastime for men! Wonderful peppy piano, first time he's used it on either album and boy can he play! Dancing slower then for the first ballad, “When we're dancing close and slow” - maybe something of a cumbersome title, especially as he already has two tracks with more than five words in them, but whereas “Sexy dancer” smoulders and swaggers, this breathes slow and deep and stretches langorously, again effortless but this time it's more a “come to me” vibe than “here I come”, as in the previous. More lovely piano peppers the tune with some swirling synth work, and taken together these two songs form the perfect seduction: “Sexy dancer” the pursuit and “When we're dancing” the sweet surrender and conquest.

The afterglow comes in the second ballad, the truly gorgeous “With you”. Why, if they were going to release five singles, did those idiots at Warners not release this or the previous? They surely would have been hits. This is just so beautiful, favourite so far, and that's saying something as I love this album up to this, and see no reason why I won't love the rest. Well, I love “Bambi”, which despite its cutesy title is anything but: it's a dirty, lowdown, sleazy rocker where Prince breaks out the guitar and the growl he would often use. This man was so versatile. Speaking of versatile, a semi-country song next? “Still waiting” sounds a little like The Eagles or Bob Seger, with a lovely yearning croon from His Princeness. Is that harmonica? Again displaying stunning lack of foresight, the big W failed to release “I feel for you”, which was of course a massive hit for Chaka Khan five years later. Oh yes, it's easy to be clever with hindsight. Fun, too. Adnittedly his original version is a little less punchy than hers, but hey, at least he won the Grammy for songwriter, even if he didn't score with the single as a musician himself, and he got his voice on her version too. What a difference five years makes, eh?

And a superb smoking ballad to end, though it's not a sugary, digital piano effort but instead has real teeth, with a biting edge and a dark warning in the title. Thick heavy bass and sludgy synth adds to the sense of darkness and brooding about it, then the falsetto vocal at the end amps everything up to ten. Superb ending to another superb album. Just superb. Have I said superb? Well, it is. Superb, that is. Superb.

I wanna be your lover
Why you wanna treat me so bad
Sexy dancer
When we're dancing close and slow
With you (If there was a rating higher I could go, this would earn it!)

Bambi
Still waiting
I feel for you
It's gonna be lonely

Afterword:

For a debut album, For You pretty much blew it out of the water, but this second album blows it out of the stars. Not a single bad song, and some absolute corkers. Again, surprising me (though not that much this time round, as I had already been floored by the debut) with its maturity, musicianship and songwriting, Prince is the second of the holy trinity (or perhaps that should read Unholy trinity!) which led up to what many believe is his best album, even if it wasn't as successful as his later releases.

Rating:
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #3246 (permalink)
Account Disabled

Great review agree with it all.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #3247 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: Dirty Mind
Genre: Funk/Soul/Pop
Year: 1980
Chronological position: Third album
Notes:
Album chart position: 45 (US) 61 (UK)
Singles: “Uptown”, “Dirty mind”, “Do it all night”
Lineup: Prince: Everything except
Lisa Coleman – Vocals on “Head”
Doctor Fink – Synth on “Head” and “Dirty mind”

The album that suddenly revealed Prince as the steamy, erotic, downright filthy poet of the nation's – the world's – desires, both forbidden and dreamed, and which began to redraw the parameters that had already been assigned to him, stretch and flex and burst right out of that box with a triumphant gasp and the squeal of the sexual release of a thousand young women, spraying talent, dripping sticky music and oozing creamy lyrics down the sides of his .. well, you get the idea. If this had been released five years later it would have been plastered with Parental Advisory stickers, and probably burned in ceremonial denouncements of its filth, lewdness and pornography disguised as pop music. Sound like your scene? Enter, if ye dare...

Review begins

Thumping bass and thrumming synth opens the title track, with a real pop sensibility in the keys, very AOR meets new wave, the vocal sort of buried at first though it rises slowly through the music. Despite the title it's not really that, well, dirty; in fact, it sounds pretty ordinary, and the new wave idea continues in “When you were mine”, with a sort of Springsteen/Mellencamp flavour in the guitar riff. So far I'm not as impressed as I was with the first two albums, I must say. “Do it all night” takes things back to funk, but again I don't see a whole lot to be excited about. A sort of soul half-ballad for “Gotta broken heart again” which, to be completely fair, sounds like something Michael Jackson would even reject. I'm amazed, but this is poor.

A fast uptempo funker then for “Uptown”, but man is it boring! The big one then is “Head”, and this is apparently where Prince starts annoying the Concerned Parents of American or whomever with his slutty, filthy lyrics, and about fucking time too. Lyricwise, yes, I can see it, but musicwise it's just another relatively boring funk/disco tune with a lot of handclaps. Where are those searing guitars that peppered the first two albums? Where's the piano? Yawn. “Sister” has too much rockabilly nonsense in it for my liking. Again, controversial lyric but pretty staid song, real disappointment. At least there are guitars in this. “Partyup” is a kind of okay disco song but nothing like anything on either of the first two albums. Interesting anti-war message at the end. About the only thing about this track that is interesting.

Dirty mind
When you were mine
Do it all night
Gotta broken heart again
Uptown
Head
Sister
Partyup

Afterword:

Considering what I read about it, and that the late great Urban declared this Prince's best album, I'm disappointed to a factor of infinity. I much prefer the two other albums. Maybe Prince was trying too hard to have hit singles and not concentrating enough on writing good songs. I guess I'm a lone voice in the wilderness, as everyone else seems to love this album, and my introductory paragraph is kind of irrelevant now, but I was hugely let down by this. Expectations high, result really really low. Boo.
Rating:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #3248 (permalink)
Account Disabled

Wow I love at least four tracks on this. But Sister is ****ing disgusting I wish it was an instrumental or about something else the dirty swine.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #3249 (permalink)
Born to be mild

Album title: Controversy
Genre: Pop/funk/new wave
Year: 1981
Chronological position: Fourth album
Notes:
Album chart position: 21 (US)
Singles: “Controversy”, “Let's work”, “Do me baby”, “Sexuality”
Lineup: Prince: Everything (with assistance on one or two tracks from Lisa Coleman, Doctor Fink and Bobby Z)

After a brief and steamy bromance, I'm now treading much more carefully as the first hot flushes of love fade and cooler heads prevail. With the honeymoon period of the first two albums over, my disappointment with Dirty Mind was total, so I'm hedging my bets much more with this one, though it does lead up to some stellar releases and presages Prince at the height of his power and fame, so maybe it will be a big improvement. We'll see.

Review begins

Continuing the synthesised funk that would somewhat become Prince's trademark, the title track opens and it's, for Prince, a monster seven-minuter kicking off this album, and there is plenty of guitar I'm glad to hear, though the lyric seems a little weak. Mind you, kicking the Catholic Church in the nuts is a move always guaranteed to score points with me, and his intonation of the Lord's Prayer in an deep, almost gravelly voice is good to hear. Other than that, it's a little, well, a lot repetitive. I would say he's running out of ideas but as I outlined in the intro, this is just before he really hit the big time, and we all know how big he got, so let's give him a chance and see what he can show us on this album. “Controversy” is definitely way too long though. Interesting rap there near the end. Not bad. “Sexuality” (getting a little literal with the titles there, O Purple One!) is a faster bass-driven romp, with the falsetto vocal clearly on form. Nice piano work, reminds me of Bowie on Let's Dance. Maybe.Sort of a spoken word piece (not a rap this time) with some fine funky guitar.

Really nice soul ballad then in “Do me, baby” (um) with those great multi-tracked backing vocals he used on the first two albums, nice electric piano, Prince really pushing his vocals to their incredible limit here, again sounding like a whole backing section. Superb, and it's been a while since I said that of a Prince song. Feels good. More a kind of disco meets new wave feel about “Private joy”, very uptempo and bouncy. Great guitar solo; this song is a lot of fun. Speaking of controversy, Prince gets political next, in “Ronnie, talk to Russia”, and it's just a madcap fun romp like something out of a musical or something, with wild frenetic keyboards, searing guitar and the kind of beat that just makes you want to body-pop or headbang. Simple, but simply fun. The faux gunshots are hilarious.

Sounds a bit Kool and the Gang then for “Let's work”, bit of a throwaway track really, while he's back sniping at religion for “Annie Christian”, interesting idea in a sort of low-key musical backing with a sort of shouted vocal, kind of metallic pushed to the foreground. I guess there's a play on words where Annie could be any, so he could be saying “any Christian”. Interesting. Controversial, certainly. Different without a doubt. The handclaps almost recall gospel music, which is kind of ironic, perhaps intentionally so. And we end on “Jack U off”, where Prince goes all rockabilly again with a whistling keyboard leading the line, kind of a play on the likes of Grease. Interesting, but ultimately a little of damp squib as a closer I feel.

Controversy
Sexuality

Do me baby
Private joy
Ronnie, talk to Russia

Let's work
Annie Christian
Jack U off

Afterword:

A whole lot better than the previous album, while this has not exactly rekindled the love affair I began with Prince on the first two albums (and which continued through 1999 and subsequent albums) it has helped me rediscover my faith in the guy, and hope that, again despite what everyone else seems to think about it, Dirty Mind was an unsightly blip on an otherwise spotless career. As was once said by Chris Barrie, “Lovely, my loves: we're back on track!” Mind you, still no big hit singles, but like Prince himself most of the time, they were coming...

Rating:
Old 03-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #3250 (permalink)
Account Disabled

Good stuff again mate.

Would you say I Wanna Be Your Lover wasn't a hit single then? Cos it was what top 10 in the US which is pretty big imo. I saw an interview from that era as well where he was on some show and was so shy it was adorable.

Anyway I loved this album at first but as time has gone on it's slipped further down the Prince pecking order and wouldn't get into my top 3 now. But the title track is insane and probably top 5/10 for me, the melody, funkiness of it, the lyrics and structure are all top notch. They are simple lyrics but they just hit the nail on the head. It never fails to make me bop my head and do a little dance. Great track.

Can't wait for the next post, I think it will be a belter