Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #485 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
To all the regulars that post in this thread I'm calling out a challenge to you all. I would like you send me your weirdest most obscure music that you can think of. I'm in the mood for something that is completely outside of my already large box.
Alvin Lucier-I Am Sitting In A Room
Alvin Lucier is an American Avant Garde composer. The man is also a genius. I Am Sitting In A Room is one recording of a few sentences explaining the album, it is played into the room until it becomes distorted and eventually is just a drone sound. The album was obviously pretty influential. Lucier recorded more albums which are also rather interesting but for me this is the best. Music On A Long Thin Wire experiments with what you can do with a single piece of 50 foot wire and a magnet, while Music For Solo Performer revolves around brain waves. I wasn't expecting much when I downloaded this, but I was shocked. This is what Avant Garde music should be like challenging, interesing and completely original.

At first it's just a normal recording, Mr. Lucier explains the purpose of the experiment and how it works. Gradually the recording gets more distorted as it's played and eventually just becomes an ethereal drone.

I rate this album 5 stars because it's so different, there's not any other albums like this one.
James is offline   Reply With Quote